Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Import CAd file (.dwg or .dxf) to COMSOL V3.5a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,
I have been trying to import a file into COMSOL. I drew my motor model having stator and rotor geometries. Using the 'Import CAD Data from file' I tried saving my files using both .dwg and .dxf. With the .dwg file, I am able to open the file in COMSOL, however the model does not have any subdomain. In my case, it should be potrayed as 2 different subdomain (stator and rotor). Does anybody know what I have missed out? If I use the 'split' function, the model is separated into soo many parts and I don;t know how to go about joining the parts to form 1 subdomain.

Also if I tried importing using the .dxf file, I get an error message as below:

Error: 2031
DXF file is corrupt
- Line number: 1

One more thing, I observe that when the drawing is imported from the CAd file, my units is x10e6. How do I reset the unit so that the model is on the 0,0 axis?

Please advice. Thank you soo much

1 Reply Last Post Sep 10, 2010, 4:37 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 10, 2010, 4:37 a.m. EDT
Hi

it seems that you dxf files are of either too old, or to new format ;)

Note that dxf or dwg are essentially a file containing points and staight lines so when imported they must form a logical assembly such to be grouped into surfaces, this is normally done by COMSOL (merging all items smaller than the repair tolerance), but sometimes there are "holes" or gap in your geoemtry that are not filled in, or done in a way that does not fit you => manual correction in COMSOL, or improve the drawing in the CAD software.

Some software also save their DXF without units, then you need to scale either in the CAD software or in COMSOL

finally some software does not have the circle or bezier curve features, then curves are "simulated" by a large series of small straight lines and these can/will make tougher for you when you need to edit them

Welcome to the world of formats/language (in)compatibilities ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it seems that you dxf files are of either too old, or to new format ;) Note that dxf or dwg are essentially a file containing points and staight lines so when imported they must form a logical assembly such to be grouped into surfaces, this is normally done by COMSOL (merging all items smaller than the repair tolerance), but sometimes there are "holes" or gap in your geoemtry that are not filled in, or done in a way that does not fit you => manual correction in COMSOL, or improve the drawing in the CAD software. Some software also save their DXF without units, then you need to scale either in the CAD software or in COMSOL finally some software does not have the circle or bezier curve features, then curves are "simulated" by a large series of small straight lines and these can/will make tougher for you when you need to edit them Welcome to the world of formats/language (in)compatibilities ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.