Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

To make a closed container with uniform temperature distribution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

Thanks for clicking and reading my message!

I am a novice in using COMSOL and I got a problem in making the temperature distribution uniform in a closed container.

Thin heating sheets will be used as the heat source.To make the temperature distribution get uniform in the closed container,I need to calculate how many heating sheets are needed and the placement.

Is this the only way that I have to estimate the placement of heating sheets,then build my model and simulate to check if the T distribution is uniform?What if my estimate is wrong?Do I need to build another model and check ou if my estimate is right or mot?Is there another possible method that I can use to calculate the placement instead of guessing it by myself?or good ideas to make the estimate precise?

I would be appreciate if any of you can give me some instructions!I really want to do better!

Thank you so much!

Br,
Chaoqun Liang

2 Replies Last Post Nov 12, 2015, 4:22 a.m. EST

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 3, 2015, 4:18 p.m. EST
Hi

I am not a pro but I want to help.
I think you don't pose your problem well.

You are thinking about heating a volume with sheets heat sources, right ? Heating means thermal flux means temperature difference. I can't be perfectly uniform if you have a thermal flux.
For example, you could try to find the steady state with different positions and number of heating sheets.
Once you will have set the external conditions (thermal loss at the boundary surface, dependent on temperature say), the power in the sheets will have to compensate for this loss to be able to be in steady state. More precisely, if you input a thermal power in your sheets, Comsol will find a Temperature field (temperature at each point)) which creates the an equivalent overall thermal loss at the exterior walls.

If you divide this input power into more sheets, thus having smaller spatial intervals between each sheet, you will have a smaller gap between the higher and lower temperatures you can find on your whole volume. The more heating sheets you will add, the more uniform the Temperature field you will get.

Attach a file if I didn't understand well your problem and geometry.
Hi I am not a pro but I want to help. I think you don't pose your problem well. You are thinking about heating a volume with sheets heat sources, right ? Heating means thermal flux means temperature difference. I can't be perfectly uniform if you have a thermal flux. For example, you could try to find the steady state with different positions and number of heating sheets. Once you will have set the external conditions (thermal loss at the boundary surface, dependent on temperature say), the power in the sheets will have to compensate for this loss to be able to be in steady state. More precisely, if you input a thermal power in your sheets, Comsol will find a Temperature field (temperature at each point)) which creates the an equivalent overall thermal loss at the exterior walls. If you divide this input power into more sheets, thus having smaller spatial intervals between each sheet, you will have a smaller gap between the higher and lower temperatures you can find on your whole volume. The more heating sheets you will add, the more uniform the Temperature field you will get. Attach a file if I didn't understand well your problem and geometry.

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 12, 2015, 4:22 a.m. EST
Dear Simon,

Thank you so much for your kind reply!!! I got much knowledge from your answer!It helps a lot!

I am sorry the delay and not posing my question well because of my poor English.My point is if there's any easier way to find the ideal state which is as uniform as possible.Now,I think I have to take many attempts in which I will put the sheets in different position and give them different power to see if it is the best state.

Here's anothet question,as you said the more heating sheets I add, the more uniform the Temperature field I would get. Is it the best solution that I cover everywhere of the interior walls with sheets?

thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,
Chaoqun

Dear Simon, Thank you so much for your kind reply!!! I got much knowledge from your answer!It helps a lot! I am sorry the delay and not posing my question well because of my poor English.My point is if there's any easier way to find the ideal state which is as uniform as possible.Now,I think I have to take many attempts in which I will put the sheets in different position and give them different power to see if it is the best state. Here's anothet question,as you said the more heating sheets I add, the more uniform the Temperature field I would get. Is it the best solution that I cover everywhere of the interior walls with sheets? thank you so much for your time! Sincerely, Chaoqun

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.