Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Absence of Torroidal B-Field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey I had a question regarding comsol. I've uploaded the file in question and the problems is as follows. There is an external current density described by the equations below and by the adjacent heat maps in the photos two directions. The summary of what I've uploaded is that there are heat maps in two different directions Current Density in the r and the z, as well as the normalized scalar of the current density. In addition we have a magnetic flux density in the phi direction (which is the direction that I believe that there should be a magnetic field in) which is completely empty. There is also a picture of the 3-d Model since the other maps are in 2-d, just in case anyone wanted to see if it was actually a torroid.
All Files are labeled accordingly. I've also attached the COMSOL file if anyone wanted to do some digging around in that direction.

The problem is that there is current flowing in this torroid in the r and z directions in a manner that should create a B field in the center of the torroid. Are there some electromagnetism/COMSOL mistakes that I'm making is or is the program giving me errors where it shouldn't be (I'm sorry I'm new to COMSOL). I appreciate everyone's help, thank you very much.

Equations:

current_theta*(rad_major-rad_coil)/r*z/sqrt(z^2+(rad_major-r)^2) (r direction)

current_theta*(rad_major-rad_coil)/r*sqrt(1-(z^2/(z^2+(rad_major-r)^2)))*sign(rad_major-r) (z-direction)

0 Replies Last Post Nov 12, 2015, 2:05 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Edward Vargas

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.