Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

The other problem; out of memory during LU factorization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, everyone
I have a little different problem with others
First, my error message is similar with the others

"Failed to find a solution.
Out of memory during LU factorization.
Returned solution is not converged."

The real problem is, however, I upgrade my computer RAM from 32 GB to 256GB to solve quite large and complicated models. Meanwhile, the model that I calculated was only 5M DOF. It seems to be solved within 64GB. I believe that. Furthermore, the error ocurred at around 30GB or 50GB (according to different solvers)

Here is the question. Why did the error happen at 30 or 50GB even though my computer had 256GB RAM.

ps. I used AC/DC module/ magnetic field/ frequency domain only

3 Replies Last Post Feb 14, 2017, 4:14 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Hyunjae Lee

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 14, 2017, 8:11 a.m. EST
Hello everyone,

isn't there any answer or help?
I have the same problem, that comsol just uses the RAM between 30-50GB instead of 110GB.

The predefinde aplication work fine, they just use 3-5Gb of RAM and i had other Siumulations running with at least 100GB working.
Hello everyone, isn't there any answer or help? I have the same problem, that comsol just uses the RAM between 30-50GB instead of 110GB. The predefinde aplication work fine, they just use 3-5Gb of RAM and i had other Siumulations running with at least 100GB working.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 14, 2017, 4:00 p.m. EST
Hello Bernd,
In my limited understanding of how these things work, the software calls for the OS to allocate memory in chunks before it can use that memory, so that allocated memory increases in steps, not continuously.
Is it possible that while up to that point in this particular solution process only 30-50GB have been needed, suddenly, say, an additional 100GB (which you don't have) is requested of the OS for the next step of the solution? This would explain why you run out of memory without ever getting close to "saturating" the 110GB.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Bernd, In my limited understanding of how these things work, the software calls for the OS to allocate memory in chunks before it can use that memory, so that allocated memory increases in steps, not continuously. Is it possible that while up to that point in this particular solution process only 30-50GB have been needed, suddenly, say, an additional 100GB (which you don't have) is requested of the OS for the next step of the solution? This would explain why you run out of memory without ever getting close to "saturating" the 110GB. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 14, 2017, 4:14 p.m. EST
Thank you very much Jeff for your explanation.

I also would like to add one point that you may encounter. When I had a crashed job because of this Out of Memory error, I noticed that the allocated RAM won't be released if I only stopped and closed that job. To get all those allocated RAM free, I restarted my computer but recently I found just close all COMSOL programs would be fine enough.
Just let you guys know if you are stuck at that point.

Thanks a lot.
Yi
Thank you very much Jeff for your explanation. I also would like to add one point that you may encounter. When I had a crashed job because of this Out of Memory error, I noticed that the allocated RAM won't be released if I only stopped and closed that job. To get all those allocated RAM free, I restarted my computer but recently I found just close all COMSOL programs would be fine enough. Just let you guys know if you are stuck at that point. Thanks a lot. Yi

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.