Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to model magnet falling inside copper tube in 3d?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have done all the geometries and physics, replicating the 2d axisymmetric version of the falling_magnet.mph in 3d but I do not have a velocity, lorentz term that I can use for my copper tube domain.

I read Ivar's answer in this thread www.comsol.co.in/community/forums/general/thread/14891/
"
If we consider the magnetic field you can solve it in stationary mode, extract the Eddy current forces related to a velocity displacement (note: in v4.1 the Lorentz velocity term is not yet set up in 2D, you must complete the BC with the equations, good exercise to write out the curl ;) and then add a global equation GE solving the velocity of the falling magnet expressed as derived from canceling out / minimising gravity forces with the magnetic Eddy current forces. Then you solve this independent ODE in the time domain and at each step you run a stationary for the MEF. You have hence a coupled problem and you solve it in the time domain, with MF/MEF
"

But I do not know how to "complete the BC with the equations" .I know that the equation I have to add is : Ji=sigma*E + sigma*v x B where Ji is the induced current density.

How does one give such an equation and where? How are the vectors "v" and "B" defined? I have defined sigma as a parameter and hence, I have no problem with it.

Please tell me as to how I have to proceed, in a detailed manner.

0 Replies Last Post Jan 5, 2016, 1:54 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sidarth S

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.