Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heating due to shear and compressional wave absorption

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Coupling acoustic and elastic wave propagation to look at mode conversion is through a fluid/solid interface is straight forward, but when I try to compute the thermal field using the total power dissipation density (Qh) as a source term when using the heat transfer in solids physics I get strange errors regarding a undefined variable "lambda" in a domain relating to the computation of streamline*dvol_spatial

if i suppress streamline stabilization the problem appears through:
(comp1.ht.hs1.Q*test(comp1.T)*comp1.ht.d)*(dvol_spatial)

there is no difference between specifying the source term in the material or spatial frame or including a moving mesh to couple between the two. Nor is there any difference between manually specifying the source term or allowing comsol to determine it automatically. I know the source term is well defined everywhere on my domains.

there is no problem doing the analogous problem in the fluid domain using I_rms*alpha1

any ideas where the problem may be? I can't find any examples of this type, nor a description of lambda, so all suggestions would be welcome!

0 Replies Last Post Jan 22, 2016, 12:35 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello djps

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.