Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to mesh a 2D model with ultra huge length-width ratio?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I suppose to mesh a model which is a rectangle with 0.5nm width and 60um length. In width direction only one mesh is OK. Is there some good idea to deal with it?

Thanks a lot!

WU Han

1 Reply Last Post Feb 2, 2016, 9:01 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 2, 2016, 9:01 a.m. EST
Hi

I suggest that you modify your geometry by scaling the other dimension by some appropriate length, let's call it L. Then when you have a derivative (say) du/dx you convert it to du/dz where z = x/L. This scaling has to be taken into account in the interpretation of the results, or by modifying appropriate constants. You did not disclose your physics, but if it were, for example, electrostatics you devide the conductivity by L in x direction. Like this:

k*(du/dx) = (k/L)*(du/dz).

Wish this helps. More hints you can find in the database.

BR
Lasse
Hi I suggest that you modify your geometry by scaling the other dimension by some appropriate length, let's call it L. Then when you have a derivative (say) du/dx you convert it to du/dz where z = x/L. This scaling has to be taken into account in the interpretation of the results, or by modifying appropriate constants. You did not disclose your physics, but if it were, for example, electrostatics you devide the conductivity by L in x direction. Like this: k*(du/dx) = (k/L)*(du/dz). Wish this helps. More hints you can find in the database. BR Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.