Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

One Study and multiple solution sets

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to do something like a parametric study but instead of doing a parametric study I want to run a transient simulation multiple times and store the solution in different study/solution data sets. I've tried duplicating the data set but whenever I run the simulation for the second time both solution sets contain the same results corresponding to the second simulation. Is there a way to achieve this in COMSOL?

Thank You

6 Replies Last Post Feb 8, 2016, 12:09 p.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 3, 2016, 1:31 p.m. EST
Hello Saliya,
If you only have a few cases, the easiest would be to add separate studies (and therefore data sets) for each case.
If you have enough that that becomes tedious to do that by hand, you could use an app to do that automatically for you.
Jeff
Hello Saliya, If you only have a few cases, the easiest would be to add separate studies (and therefore data sets) for each case. If you have enough that that becomes tedious to do that by hand, you could use an app to do that automatically for you. Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 3, 2016, 2:24 p.m. EST
Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. How do I use an app to do that? did you mean to create a COMSOL app to do that?

Thank You
Hello Jeff, Thanks for the reply. How do I use an app to do that? did you mean to create a COMSOL app to do that? Thank You

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 3, 2016, 3:12 p.m. EST
Yes, that is what I meant.
Jeff
Yes, that is what I meant. Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 5, 2016, 1:53 a.m. EST
Hello Jeff,

I have the same problem. In many cases i would like to just click on solve a second time to generate a second solution. I don't mind having multiple studies in my models to be able to generate more solutions but it is very annoying that i can't duplicate the studies (without the solution set) especially when i have made some complex settings in the solver.
Hello Jeff, I have the same problem. In many cases i would like to just click on solve a second time to generate a second solution. I don't mind having multiple studies in my models to be able to generate more solutions but it is very annoying that i can't duplicate the studies (without the solution set) especially when i have made some complex settings in the solver.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 8, 2016, 5:38 a.m. EST
Hello,

You can right-click the Solver Configurations node in the Study and choose Create Solution Copy to make a Solution - Copy data set available for your current solution (pointing to a Solution - Copy node under Solver Configurations). When you then recompute with changes to the model or the solver settings, the new solution is available through the original Solution data set, so that you can postprocess and evaluate both solutions by pointing to one of the two data sets (you can extend this approach to create additional solution copies). You can also use a Join data set to combine solutions from two different solution data sets (as a difference, for example).

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hello, You can right-click the Solver Configurations node in the Study and choose Create Solution Copy to make a Solution - Copy data set available for your current solution (pointing to a Solution - Copy node under Solver Configurations). When you then recompute with changes to the model or the solver settings, the new solution is available through the original Solution data set, so that you can postprocess and evaluate both solutions by pointing to one of the two data sets (you can extend this approach to create additional solution copies). You can also use a Join data set to combine solutions from two different solution data sets (as a difference, for example). Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 8, 2016, 12:09 p.m. EST
Hello Magnus. That did the trick and that was exactly what I wanted. Thank You so much.
-Saliya
Hello Magnus. That did the trick and that was exactly what I wanted. Thank You so much. -Saliya

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.