Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Two physics simulation: Electro-Optics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm running Electro-optic simulations and I've coupled two physics, namely RF and Wave Optics.

I'm running the Mode Analysis in the RF Physics to solve for 2D electric field given my particular electrode geometry (in this case slot waveguide) and frequency, and then I want to use the output of this simulation (the electric field distribution) to input into the sencond simulation's material properties.

In other words, I solve for electric field and then I know electric field at every point in space. Next I take this electric field and use it to define the refractive index change in the second simulation. (Refractive index is usually just a material property and is fixed and just one number for all spatial points that are composed of that material, rather than variable spatially.)

For that, I've created a variable dn=n*emw.Ex. (I'm interested in the x component of the RF field)

Secondly, in the Wave Optics I run Mode Analysis and calculate the optical mode due to this refractive index change.
For that, in the settings window of my Optical Study (Study 1), under Step 1, expanded "Values of Dependent Variables." and checked the box, Values of variables not solved for. Changed the Method to Solution. Changed the Study to Study 2, RF. This should point Study 1 (Optical) to the E field from Study 2.

I'm seeing different results of optical effective refractive index depending on my selection in the "Effective Mode Index: All, Automatic, or manually choosing the RF solution I'm interested in".

Moreover, what is strange to me, is that the imaginary part of the optical mode change from positive to negative depending on this.

To my understanding, by muanually selecting the RF mode in the "Effective Mode Index" should give me the right Optical Mode.
Though I've seen these strange resuts even by selecting "All" or "Automatic", and by sweeping the simulation over different RF frequencies (1 to 50 GHz).

So at this point, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong and which is the right method to perfom those simulations.

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post Mar 14, 2016, 6:43 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 14, 2016, 6:43 a.m. EDT
Anyone???

I'm running Electro-optic simulations and I've coupled two physics, namely RF and Wave Optics.

I'm running the Mode Analysis in the RF Physics to solve for 2D electric field given my particular electrode geometry (in this case slot waveguide) and frequency, and then I want to use the output of this simulation (the electric field distribution) to input into the sencond simulation's material properties.

In other words, I solve for electric field and then I know electric field at every point in space. Next I take this electric field and use it to define the refractive index change in the second simulation. (Refractive index is usually just a material property and is fixed and just one number for all spatial points that are composed of that material, rather than variable spatially.)

For that, I've created a variable dn=n*emw.Ex. (I'm interested in the x component of the RF field)

Secondly, in the Wave Optics I run Mode Analysis and calculate the optical mode due to this refractive index change.
For that, in the settings window of my Optical Study (Study 1), under Step 1, expanded "Values of Dependent Variables." and checked the box, Values of variables not solved for. Changed the Method to Solution. Changed the Study to Study 2, RF. This should point Study 1 (Optical) to the E field from Study 2.

I'm seeing different results of optical effective refractive index depending on my selection in the "Effective Mode Index: All, Automatic, or manually choosing the RF solution I'm interested in".

Moreover, what is strange to me, is that the imaginary part of the optical mode change from positive to negative depending on this.

To my understanding, by muanually selecting the RF mode in the "Effective Mode Index" should give me the right Optical Mode.
Though I've seen these strange resuts even by selecting "All" or "Automatic", and by sweeping the simulation over different RF frequencies (1 to 50 GHz).

So at this point, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong and which is the right method to perfom those simulations.

Thank you.

Anyone??? [QUOTE] I'm running Electro-optic simulations and I've coupled two physics, namely RF and Wave Optics. I'm running the Mode Analysis in the RF Physics to solve for 2D electric field given my particular electrode geometry (in this case slot waveguide) and frequency, and then I want to use the output of this simulation (the electric field distribution) to input into the sencond simulation's material properties. In other words, I solve for electric field and then I know electric field at every point in space. Next I take this electric field and use it to define the refractive index change in the second simulation. (Refractive index is usually just a material property and is fixed and just one number for all spatial points that are composed of that material, rather than variable spatially.) For that, I've created a variable dn=n*emw.Ex. (I'm interested in the x component of the RF field) Secondly, in the Wave Optics I run Mode Analysis and calculate the optical mode due to this refractive index change. For that, in the settings window of my Optical Study (Study 1), under Step 1, expanded "Values of Dependent Variables." and checked the box, Values of variables not solved for. Changed the Method to Solution. Changed the Study to Study 2, RF. This should point Study 1 (Optical) to the E field from Study 2. I'm seeing different results of optical effective refractive index depending on my selection in the "Effective Mode Index: All, Automatic, or manually choosing the RF solution I'm interested in". Moreover, what is strange to me, is that the imaginary part of the optical mode change from positive to negative depending on this. To my understanding, by muanually selecting the RF mode in the "Effective Mode Index" should give me the right Optical Mode. Though I've seen these strange resuts even by selecting "All" or "Automatic", and by sweeping the simulation over different RF frequencies (1 to 50 GHz). So at this point, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong and which is the right method to perfom those simulations. Thank you. [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.