Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL 5.2 gets stuck after some time

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

From almost two weeks I am facing this problem that whenever I run a simulation that requires long processing time, I find that the program stops responding. I just get a "waiting" cursor and a (Not Responding) message in the title bar.

I thought it might be due to the latest update for COMSOL 5.2 so I uninstalled the COMSOL program and re-installed v5.2 without the update. But, still it gave me the same problem. I also tried installing the update for it, and still I have the same issue.

I am running the program on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with 32 GB RAM and i7-4790 processor with a 4GB NVidia GeForce GT730 graphics card.

It used to run fine before but now its frustrating me because its impossible for me to run anything. I waste hours and end up with nothing because the program just hangs up.

7 Replies Last Post Apr 26, 2017, 2:39 p.m. EDT

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 10, 2016, 2:46 a.m. EST
Hi Ajaz,

Close issue.
I work with Windows 10 64-bit with the 5.2 and it often happens that comsol crashes during long simulations (in the night). Before 5.2, I had no problems with that.

Best regards

Julien
Hi Ajaz, Close issue. I work with Windows 10 64-bit with the 5.2 and it often happens that comsol crashes during long simulations (in the night). Before 5.2, I had no problems with that. Best regards Julien

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 10, 2016, 4:54 a.m. EST
I thought the same but it has happened to be even in a period of 30 minutes after running the simulation. So I guess its not just overnight issues.
I thought the same but it has happened to be even in a period of 30 minutes after running the simulation. So I guess its not just overnight issues.

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 21, 2017, 12:02 p.m. EDT
Did you ever get resolution to this issue? I am having the same problem in 5.2a. It happens periodically where the simulation will freeze. I can hear it (cooling fans winding up) and see that it is still running (using the task manager), but the graphics do not update and the program effectively goes into a infinite loop just running but not updating.
Did you ever get resolution to this issue? I am having the same problem in 5.2a. It happens periodically where the simulation will freeze. I can hear it (cooling fans winding up) and see that it is still running (using the task manager), but the graphics do not update and the program effectively goes into a infinite loop just running but not updating.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 21, 2017, 1:47 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I was experiencing this as well and here are a few hints that may reduce the frequency of these unfavourable events:

- Make sure you activate the Recovery File in the preferences. You may be able to continue a frozen model from the recovery file after killing the Comsol process in the task manager. This doesn't work always. It mostly works in my contexts for time dependent studies.
- Use the software rendering in the graphics settings
- Do not activate any 2D or 3D plots while solving. So far for me it looks like probe plots are not harmful. Not having life plots is a unpleasant restriction of course.
- Do not play around in the graphics window while solving. I frequently observed that a model froze when I zoomed into a probe plot or did other things in the graphics.
- Make sure the .net framework 4.6.2 is installed on your machine.
- Deactivate background processes as far as possible. E.g. Windows Update and Virus scanners may interfere, particularly over night.

These are random observations. Taking care of the above reduced the frequency of freezing events but sometimes they still occur.
I really wish Comsol took more efforts to resolve that.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, I was experiencing this as well and here are a few hints that may reduce the frequency of these unfavourable events: - Make sure you activate the Recovery File in the preferences. You may be able to continue a frozen model from the recovery file after killing the Comsol process in the task manager. This doesn't work always. It mostly works in my contexts for time dependent studies. - Use the software rendering in the graphics settings - Do not activate any 2D or 3D plots while solving. So far for me it looks like probe plots are not harmful. Not having life plots is a unpleasant restriction of course. - Do not play around in the graphics window while solving. I frequently observed that a model froze when I zoomed into a probe plot or did other things in the graphics. - Make sure the .net framework 4.6.2 is installed on your machine. - Deactivate background processes as far as possible. E.g. Windows Update and Virus scanners may interfere, particularly over night. These are random observations. Taking care of the above reduced the frequency of freezing events but sometimes they still occur. I really wish Comsol took more efforts to resolve that. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Hanna Gothäll COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 26, 2017, 3:59 a.m. EDT
There is a known issue in COMSOL Multiphysics 5.2a. The issue with the frozen solver arises occasionally when plotting while running the solver (including convergence plots, probe plots, and regular plot groups). The issue is fixed in COMSOL Multiphysics 5.3, available for download here:

www.comsol.com/product-download

If you can't update right now, it is recommended to turn off all plotting while running critical computations.
There is a known issue in COMSOL Multiphysics 5.2a. The issue with the frozen solver arises occasionally when plotting while running the solver (including convergence plots, probe plots, and regular plot groups). The issue is fixed in COMSOL Multiphysics 5.3, available for download here: https://www.comsol.com/product-download If you can't update right now, it is recommended to turn off all plotting while running critical computations.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 26, 2017, 8:53 a.m. EDT
Hanna,

thanks for explaining this. I am just wondering for what reason this 'known issue' was never published to the community? Or did I miss something?

I remember other difficulties that finally turned out to be known issues. I would like to encourage Comsol to handle these known issues more proactively. How about a page on the Comsol website? It could save a lot of time for your customers and probably for the support people as well.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hanna, thanks for explaining this. I am just wondering for what reason this 'known issue' was never published to the community? Or did I miss something? I remember other difficulties that finally turned out to be known issues. I would like to encourage Comsol to handle these known issues more proactively. How about a page on the Comsol website? It could save a lot of time for your customers and probably for the support people as well. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 26, 2017, 2:39 p.m. EDT
Hello
Here, we have lost hundreds of hours of models hanging and calculations lost, for many of us. We chatted about it already at last conference Edgar, you proposed an attempt to fix, I tried too, no way. Support did their best to help me, but could not that easily propose any workaround either. And it seemed to be of quite profound/low level, linked to multitask sync at OS - graphics - COMSOL level. Obviously not that easy to fix, perhaps not fully in the hands of COMSOL either.

The best workaround: keep zen, once you notice/suspect a freeze, take it easy wait 30 sec, take a coffee or a cup of tea, and come back and you have control again, if you pile up many commands it get fully stuck. And taking some seconds to think about what you are doing is not always fully lost time :)

We observe it particularly in client - server mode and far more severe on Windows than for UX, where you needed to be really a speedy graphics zoomer & clicker to trigger the issue. It hardly is noticeable in standard COMSOL mode.

I really hope it's gone in 5.3 :) we absolutely need to gain time back, as lost time = is lost revenues, => hence lost opportunities to purchase more and new modules of COMSOL ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hello Here, we have lost hundreds of hours of models hanging and calculations lost, for many of us. We chatted about it already at last conference Edgar, you proposed an attempt to fix, I tried too, no way. Support did their best to help me, but could not that easily propose any workaround either. And it seemed to be of quite profound/low level, linked to multitask sync at OS - graphics - COMSOL level. Obviously not that easy to fix, perhaps not fully in the hands of COMSOL either. The best workaround: keep zen, once you notice/suspect a freeze, take it easy wait 30 sec, take a coffee or a cup of tea, and come back and you have control again, if you pile up many commands it get fully stuck. And taking some seconds to think about what you are doing is not always fully lost time :) We observe it particularly in client - server mode and far more severe on Windows than for UX, where you needed to be really a speedy graphics zoomer & clicker to trigger the issue. It hardly is noticeable in standard COMSOL mode. I really hope it's gone in 5.3 :) we absolutely need to gain time back, as lost time = is lost revenues, => hence lost opportunities to purchase more and new modules of COMSOL ... -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.