Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Internal error in geometry decomposition.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I recently experienced quite some trouble building my geometries when they involved structures build from parametric curves. I saw a quite a bunch of related posts here and wanted to ask whether there is now some solution to it.

The error usually happens when a structure from a parametric curve (converted to solid and then extruded) is going to be combined with another object by any kind of boolean or partition operation.

The error messages that are produced look like: "Detail: Could not trace curve"
or: "Detail: Error in parameter domain topological analysis."

I attached an example file for the latter one.

So, any hints are welcome. Thank you.

Best wishes,
Hannes

5 Replies Last Post May 3, 2016, 10:56 a.m. EDT
Niklas Rom COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 24, 2016, 4:58 a.m. EDT
I would suggest you submit this to tech support via the red button here:
www.comsol.com/support

Niklas

Dear all,

I recently experienced quite some trouble building my geometries when they involved structures build from parametric curves. I saw a quite a bunch of related posts here and wanted to ask whether there is now some solution to it.

The error usually happens when a structure from a parametric curve (converted to solid and then extruded) is going to be combined with another object by any kind of boolean or partition operation.

The error messages that are produced look like: "Detail: Could not trace curve"
or: "Detail: Error in parameter domain topological analysis."

I attached an example file for the latter one.

So, any hints are welcome. Thank you.

Best wishes,
Hannes

I would suggest you submit this to tech support via the red button here: https://www.comsol.com/support Niklas [QUOTE] Dear all, I recently experienced quite some trouble building my geometries when they involved structures build from parametric curves. I saw a quite a bunch of related posts here and wanted to ask whether there is now some solution to it. The error usually happens when a structure from a parametric curve (converted to solid and then extruded) is going to be combined with another object by any kind of boolean or partition operation. The error messages that are produced look like: "Detail: Could not trace curve" or: "Detail: Error in parameter domain topological analysis." I attached an example file for the latter one. So, any hints are welcome. Thank you. Best wishes, Hannes [/QUOTE]

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 6, 2016, 12:54 p.m. EDT
Hi all,

just as an update, if other people are struggling with the same or a similar problem.

The Tech Support suggested using workplanes to partition the geometry. So you cut along them and delete the superfluous parts. It works in most of my cases - I still have the same problem for some special geometry choices, but the Tech Support also admitted that this kind of transition is a bit hard to handle.

But maybe this other partition method helps somebody.

Best,
Hannes
Hi all, just as an update, if other people are struggling with the same or a similar problem. The Tech Support suggested using workplanes to partition the geometry. So you cut along them and delete the superfluous parts. It works in most of my cases - I still have the same problem for some special geometry choices, but the Tech Support also admitted that this kind of transition is a bit hard to handle. But maybe this other partition method helps somebody. Best, Hannes

Posted: 8 years ago May 3, 2016, 8:12 a.m. EDT
Dear Hannes,

Could you please upload test project with realisation of what you wrote? I am experiencing this problem, but even if I change some dimensions so faces not touching each other I still have an error.
Thanks and all the best!
Pavel
Dear Hannes, Could you please upload test project with realisation of what you wrote? I am experiencing this problem, but even if I change some dimensions so faces not touching each other I still have an error. Thanks and all the best! Pavel

Posted: 8 years ago May 3, 2016, 10:02 a.m. EDT
Hi Pavel,

I attached two example files that contain the two methods to do the kind of cut I wanted to do.

GeometryError.mph
was my initial attempt with a block and a multiplication. It fails for the parametric curve case.

Comsol_Support_GeometryError_solution.mph
is the solution as it was proposed to me by the Comsol Support. It mostly works, but, as I already wrote, I also experienced special geometry parameter choices where it did not work. In this cases I just gradually changed my parameters a bit so that the physics is not really affected, but Comsol was working.

If you have a special geometry, where both methods fail, it would be probably advisable for you to contact the Support.

I hope it helps at least a little bit.

Cheers,
Hannes
Hi Pavel, I attached two example files that contain the two methods to do the kind of cut I wanted to do. GeometryError.mph was my initial attempt with a block and a multiplication. It fails for the parametric curve case. Comsol_Support_GeometryError_solution.mph is the solution as it was proposed to me by the Comsol Support. It mostly works, but, as I already wrote, I also experienced special geometry parameter choices where it did not work. In this cases I just gradually changed my parameters a bit so that the physics is not really affected, but Comsol was working. If you have a special geometry, where both methods fail, it would be probably advisable for you to contact the Support. I hope it helps at least a little bit. Cheers, Hannes

Posted: 8 years ago May 3, 2016, 10:56 a.m. EDT
Dear Hannes,

Thank you very much! I will look at it (right now I managed somehow to fix it, but to prevent an error in future I will use your approach) and change my projects accordingly if possible after all.

All the best!
Pavel
Dear Hannes, Thank you very much! I will look at it (right now I managed somehow to fix it, but to prevent an error in future I will use your approach) and change my projects accordingly if possible after all. All the best! Pavel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.