Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to set up a temperature profile?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello together,
i am an absolute beginner with comsol and hope you can help me with a small problem. I have a running 2D model with heat transfer and now want to set up a temperature profile over time relating to a certain point.
So as a x-axis, i want to have the time and as a y-axis, i want to have the temperature.
I have searched in the user's guide and in the forum, but i couldn't find anything concerning this. In fact, it should be a very trivial problem.

I hope you can help me.
Thanks a lot!

With best regards;
Maximilian Maußner

2 Replies Last Post Apr 7, 2016, 9:02 a.m. EDT
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 4, 2016, 10:27 a.m. EDT
Is the point a geometrical point? Then you can do as follows:

1. Results: Add a 1D Plot Group.
2. 1D Plot Group: Add a Point Graph.
3. Select the point that you are interested in.
4. Enter the expression to plot in the Expression section.
5. Click on Plot in the settings window's toolbar.

If you instead want to evaluate in a point with arbitrary coordinates:

1. Results > Data Sets: Add a Cut Point 2D.
2. Enter the coordinates in the x and y fields.
3. Results: Add a 1D Plot Group.
4. Change the data set to the cut point data set that you just created.
5. 1D Plot Group: Add a Point Graph.
6. Enter the expression to plot in the Expression section.
7. Click on Plot in the settings window's toolbar.
Is the point a geometrical point? Then you can do as follows: 1. Results: Add a 1D Plot Group. 2. 1D Plot Group: Add a Point Graph. 3. Select the point that you are interested in. 4. Enter the expression to plot in the Expression section. 5. Click on Plot in the settings window's toolbar. If you instead want to evaluate in a point with arbitrary coordinates: 1. Results > Data Sets: Add a Cut Point 2D. 2. Enter the coordinates in the x and y fields. 3. Results: Add a 1D Plot Group. 4. Change the data set to the cut point data set that you just created. 5. 1D Plot Group: Add a Point Graph. 6. Enter the expression to plot in the Expression section. 7. Click on Plot in the settings window's toolbar.

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 7, 2016, 9:02 a.m. EDT
Thank you very much. This was so helpful!
Thank you very much. This was so helpful!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.