Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About SAW sensor. Will the sound speed change in solid mechanics when I change the density of the material?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey guys, I am trying to model a surface acoustic wave sensor and I am using the solid mechanics module with piezoelectric materials because there's no acoustic module available in our university's computer lab. I applied an sine wave AC voltage to the input IDT and use a global probe to observe the output voltage. I can have a sine way output. The problem I encountered is no matter how I change the mass, or the density of the delay line between input and output ports, the output voltage doesn't change. There should be some time delay when the mass of delay line increases but in my model nothing happens.
So I am wondering does the sound speed in material changes when the density changes? Or anybody have the experience of simulate SAW sensor? I mean the process of sensing instead of just have the output. I have no idea why my model is not working. If any of you can help me with this I will be very grateful.

0 Replies Last Post May 8, 2016, 11:26 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yishen Lu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.