Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to simulate a lumped port with thickness?

Felipe Bamberg Soares

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I've been trying to simulate a rectangular dipole, but I want to simulate with lumped port and it has thickness. I simulated using work plane and a lumped port without thickness, but the thickness of antenna influence on input impedance. I used Perfect Electric Conductor condition.

Thanks.

2 Replies Last Post May 30, 2016, 10:14 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago May 27, 2016, 11:56 a.m. EDT
I'm not an expert on this subcategory of ports, but I suggest to you that the key insight here follows from the physics: Lumped-ports are only approximations to reality if/when used over any extended space, so the key is to use them in such a way that the approximation involved is not too severe. E.g., if you really need to model the "thickness" in the lumped-port region to get accurate results, then you should probably be modeling most/all of that particular region instead as a regular part of your FE problem, rather than as a lumped port. Again, remember that a "lumped-port" is not a truly physical thing, in contrast to including an actual transmission-line (TL) and a physical junction. The "real-world" part of your problem of interest presumably includes an actual TL junction, with a distribution of real-world currents on/in it and fields on/around it. If that real-world junction to your antenna is sufficiently small and simple, and if the TL that feeds it does not otherwise interfere/interact with the antenna's currents and fields, then you may be able to drop the details of the TL from the problem and represent its presence via a simple "lumped-port" instead. But if not, then you really need to model the junction itself in some greater level of detail.

So, I suggest you take another look at the physical problem you are trying to represent with your model. There may still exist a better-possible representation which still takes advantage of using a lumped-port, but one in which the lumped-port's specification can be made to be independent of your dipole's thickness.
I'm not an expert on this subcategory of ports, but I suggest to you that the key insight here follows from the physics: Lumped-ports are only approximations to reality if/when used over any extended space, so the key is to use them in such a way that the approximation involved is not too severe. E.g., if you really need to model the "thickness" in the lumped-port region to get accurate results, then you should probably be modeling most/all of that particular region instead as a regular part of your FE problem, rather than as a lumped port. Again, remember that a "lumped-port" is not a truly physical thing, in contrast to including an actual transmission-line (TL) and a physical junction. The "real-world" part of your problem of interest presumably includes an actual TL junction, with a distribution of real-world currents on/in it and fields on/around it. If that real-world junction to your antenna is sufficiently small and simple, and if the TL that feeds it does not otherwise interfere/interact with the antenna's currents and fields, then you may be able to drop the details of the TL from the problem and represent its presence via a simple "lumped-port" instead. But if not, then you really need to model the junction itself in some greater level of detail. So, I suggest you take another look at the physical problem you are trying to represent with your model. There may still exist a better-possible representation which still takes advantage of using a lumped-port, but one in which the lumped-port's specification can be made to be independent of your dipole's thickness.

Felipe Bamberg Soares

Posted: 8 years ago May 30, 2016, 10:14 a.m. EDT
Thanks for your help. I will try to do what you told me.
Thanks for your help. I will try to do what you told me.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.