Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

'Numeric or Circular' Coil type

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good day every one.
I have a question about Multi turn-Coils especially 'Coil type' and I hope that you can help me with it.
Right now I am doing a simulation on a solenoid coil with a diameter 'd' and length 'L' and number of turns 'N'.
First, I chose 'Circular' from the 'Coil type' since it is the closet one to my geometry. I did a simulation and I get results. Later I wondered, what if this type is just for the ring one, I mean not suitable for the cylindrical one. So I replied the same simulation but this time I only change the type to (Numeric Type) and added a "Coil Geometry Analysis" . I also got results, but the thing that the two results are not identical. Actually, for example, the flux density is doubled for the Circular one!
Could you please give me an explanation about this. and If anyone knows which Type is more suitable for Solenoid coil, please tell me and I will be really grateful for that.
Thanks in advance.

3 Replies Last Post Jun 29, 2016, 12:44 p.m. EDT

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 28, 2016, 8:06 a.m. EDT
What worries me is that you say that the "Circular" is _closest_ to your geometry. You can
use "Circular" only when your coil is exactly circular, ie cylindrically symmetric. If it deviates from this you must use "numeric".

However, if it is circular, you can use both and both should get the same result (only that "numeric"
takes longer).

Are you sure your parameters are exactly the same?

Regards

Jesn
What worries me is that you say that the "Circular" is _closest_ to your geometry. You can use "Circular" only when your coil is exactly circular, ie cylindrically symmetric. If it deviates from this you must use "numeric". However, if it is circular, you can use both and both should get the same result (only that "numeric" takes longer). Are you sure your parameters are exactly the same? Regards Jesn

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 28, 2016, 8:14 a.m. EDT
Dear Jesn,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Yes, my geometry is cylindrically symmetric, and my two simulations are identical expect the coil types.

It is really interesting to get different results, isn't it?
Dear Jesn, Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, my geometry is cylindrically symmetric, and my two simulations are identical expect the coil types. It is really interesting to get different results, isn't it?

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 29, 2016, 12:44 p.m. EDT
Hi...i am new user here. As per my knowledge it is right said that Circular" is _closest_ to your geometry. You can use "Circular" only when your coil is exactly circular, ie cylindrically symmetric. If it deviates from this you must use "numeric".However, if it is circular, you can use both and both should get the same result

www.7pcb.ca/smt-assembly/
Hi...i am new user here. As per my knowledge it is right said that Circular" is _closest_ to your geometry. You can use "Circular" only when your coil is exactly circular, ie cylindrically symmetric. If it deviates from this you must use "numeric".However, if it is circular, you can use both and both should get the same result http://www.7pcb.ca/smt-assembly/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.