Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to Set Up Capillary Flow Mixing Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Summed up, my question is about how to model a set quantity of solid particles being swept away by another liquid. This is for the purpose of seeing how well mixing takes place. In my case, the solid particles are Acridine Orange and the liquid is blood.

Here's specific info about the experiment:

The cartridge consists of canals created by transfer tape between a layer of glass slide and a glass cover slip. The way that the mixing begins is that dried Acridine Orange sits in the entrance to the cartridge, and once the blood is added to the entrance, it advances through the canals through capillary flow and mixes with the Acridine Orange in the process.

I already have some idea of how to model the capillary flow using this resource:
www.comsol.com/model/capillary-filling-phase-field-method-1878

What I'm not quite sure about is how to have a set quantity of solid Acridine Orange at the beginning of the cartridge that interacts with the flowing blood and is not replenished. Any advice would be great.

Thank you,
Dan

0 Replies Last Post Jun 29, 2016, 6:49 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dan Burke

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.