Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Analytical Boundary conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi ,

I want to simulate the transient heat transfer (conductive ) in a infinite domain surrounding a pipe in which there is a fluid flowing. I don't want to resolve the fluid flow, instead I want to use the analytical solution based on the inlet temperature and the temperature of the wall in the pipe to calculate the flux boundary for the heat transfer equation.

The pipe will then be discretized in axial direction,

Can I do this in comsol or do I have to also discretize the flow?

thankful for some advise!

// Henrik

1 Reply Last Post Dec 3, 2010, 6:04 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 3, 2010, 6:04 a.m. EST
You can use nearly any analytical expression for use in your boundary conditions. This includes heat transfer coefficients or the velocities in your pipe or whatever. It strongly depends on what you want to do and what you already know about your system. check the doc.

Hope this helps.
You can use nearly any analytical expression for use in your boundary conditions. This includes heat transfer coefficients or the velocities in your pipe or whatever. It strongly depends on what you want to do and what you already know about your system. check the doc. Hope this helps.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.