Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interference Fringes in GOP

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am trying to recreate a simpler version of the Michelson interferometer example in the GOP module. I am not interested for the moment in the thermomechanical misalignments, simply in generating a basic interferogram. My effort so far is in the .mph file attached.

Initially I tried to use a 2D model, hoping to generate intensity profiles along the outer linear boundaries, but I could not figure out how to do this.

Then I moved to a 3D model so that I could make use of the built in "interference pattern" post processing feature, and I generated the necessary geometry. But the inteference plot still doesn't show the expected pattern- only a smooth gradient across a region that includes the specified plane, but is not limited to it.

With these results the file was too large, so I have had to delete the solution nodes to attach here.

If anyone has got experience with this or similar problems, please let me know. Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post Jul 14, 2016, 6:38 a.m. EDT
Rob Boswell COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Jul 11, 2016, 4:09 a.m. EDT
Dear Matthew,

If you have questions on how to use COMSOL Multiphysics, or would like help setting up a model, you can log a support request which will be picked up by our dedicated technical support team. To do this, please log into your COMSOL Access account on our website: www.uk.comsol.com/access.

Once you have done this, click on the ‘Request Support’ button. This will open a dialogue box which will allow you to send your questions directly to our technical engineers. You can also attach model files or other documents to this request, which can help to provide our technical engineers with more information on your problem.

Please note, the technical support service is only available to those using a subscribed research licence or an active trial licence. When you create a case, you are asked which licence you are using, so please include the 7 digit licence number when submitting a case. If you are not sure what licence you are using, open the software and follow the route: File > Help > About COMSOL Multiphysics. This will open a pop-up window with your licence number.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Rob

COMSOL UK
rob@comsol.com
01223 451 587
Dear Matthew, If you have questions on how to use COMSOL Multiphysics, or would like help setting up a model, you can log a support request which will be picked up by our dedicated technical support team. To do this, please log into your COMSOL Access account on our website: http://www.uk.comsol.com/access. Once you have done this, click on the ‘Request Support’ button. This will open a dialogue box which will allow you to send your questions directly to our technical engineers. You can also attach model files or other documents to this request, which can help to provide our technical engineers with more information on your problem. Please note, the technical support service is only available to those using a subscribed research licence or an active trial licence. When you create a case, you are asked which licence you are using, so please include the 7 digit licence number when submitting a case. If you are not sure what licence you are using, open the software and follow the route: File > Help > About COMSOL Multiphysics. This will open a pop-up window with your licence number. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Rob COMSOL UK rob@comsol.com 01223 451 587

Posted: 8 years ago Jul 14, 2016, 6:38 a.m. EDT
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try technical support since I do have a license for COMSOL. But I have to say I'm surprised no one else on the forum has offered support yet. Usually the community is pretty good for this and historically have been very helpful for me personally.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try technical support since I do have a license for COMSOL. But I have to say I'm surprised no one else on the forum has offered support yet. Usually the community is pretty good for this and historically have been very helpful for me personally.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.