Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transport of diluted species - Problems with MASS CONSERVATION

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a question with one model that I am building. I am modeling the concentration with respect to time in a close chamber with initial concentration C0 using the Physics "Transport of diluted species". I only have one velocity in the y direction which is a function of y. Vy = (H/2 - y) * S, where H is the height of the chamber (in meter) and S is the flow rate (in 1/s). From the equation, I expect at steady state, the concentration of the species will be highest at the midline of the chamber. However, the TOTAL concentration of the species in the chamber should still be the same since it is a CLOSE CHAMBER (no inflow, no outflow). However, the total concentration is not conserved (since the volume and the total AMOUNT in a close chamber do not change, thus, total concentration should be the same). This does not follow conservation of mass law.

I wonder if there is a recommended physics or tips to deal with the non-linear system since I have the velocity in the y-direction is a function of y. Please see the attached file see how the system is set up.

My parameters are: H = 250 [um] and C0 = 4.98E-6 (mol/m^3)

Thanks,

Uyen

0 Replies Last Post Jul 20, 2016, 3:49 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Uyen Tran

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.