Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Surface Plot in different coordinates

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am evaluating a deformation (w value in comsol) of a cylndric surface. I got a 2D plot of the surface with the perpendicual displacement. Now I would like to export the data. I am able to do that with Result->Export->Data. Here Comsol allows just to select a Cartestian Coordinate Grid of points with your desried resolution.

Is it possible to use Cylindric coordinates to define this grid?

I am using 5.2a

2 Replies Last Post Jul 28, 2016, 4:25 p.m. EDT
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Jul 28, 2016, 11:05 a.m. EDT
Dear Nicola,

You could use multiple methods:
- create a coordinate file with the cylindrical coordinates, and use that in the export node
- map your results to a surface dataset. You can specify the axis as the cylindrical coordinates. Attached a simple example which adds a cylindrical dataset, and uses this on the surface dataset under results. If you export the results from the surface you have them as cylindrical.
- map your results to a 2D component using an extrusion coupling. This is also shown in that attached example. Here it is only used for post processing, but you can even couple them together to make more elaborate models.

As you can see in the example, the extrusion method may be slightly more accurate, while the second method is quicker to set up.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Nicola, You could use multiple methods: - create a coordinate file with the cylindrical coordinates, and use that in the export node - map your results to a surface dataset. You can specify the axis as the cylindrical coordinates. Attached a simple example which adds a cylindrical dataset, and uses this on the surface dataset under results. If you export the results from the surface you have them as cylindrical. - map your results to a 2D component using an extrusion coupling. This is also shown in that attached example. Here it is only used for post processing, but you can even couple them together to make more elaborate models. As you can see in the example, the extrusion method may be slightly more accurate, while the second method is quicker to set up. Best regards, Frank

Posted: 8 years ago Jul 28, 2016, 4:25 p.m. EDT
I would like to thank you! That's a good suggestion. At the end I have exported the file as a cartesuan plane and interpoleted that in mathematica or matlab. Once you have the interpolation you can create your on coordinate. But you method is faster
I would like to thank you! That's a good suggestion. At the end I have exported the file as a cartesuan plane and interpoleted that in mathematica or matlab. Once you have the interpolation you can create your on coordinate. But you method is faster

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.