Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ray tracing optical fiber

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am supposed to create an optical fiber placed in air and do a ray tracing simulation of this. I have managed to create the fiber and the box filled with air, but when I am creating my rays using release grid I do not really understand how to define the initial coordinates to get my rays inside my optical fiber to then be traced in air when they get out. Maybe this is completely wrong but I am really new to COMSOL and really need to learn how to do this. I have gone through all the tutorials I could find but none of them actually uses a model of an optical fiber to trace their light through.

//Emily

1 Reply Last Post Sep 21, 2016, 8:55 a.m. EDT
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Sep 21, 2016, 8:55 a.m. EDT
Hi Emily, this example should serve as a decent starting point:
www.comsol.com/model/transparent-light-pipe-22121

You can either download the model file and documentation from this link, or in COMSOL, go to File>Application Libraries>Ray Optics Module>Tutorials>light_pipe.

Rays will only escape from the fiber if total internal reflection does not occur, as is the case for some values of the pipe curvature in the example.

Dan
Hi Emily, this example should serve as a decent starting point: https://www.comsol.com/model/transparent-light-pipe-22121 You can either download the model file and documentation from this link, or in COMSOL, go to File>Application Libraries>Ray Optics Module>Tutorials>light_pipe. Rays will only escape from the fiber if total internal reflection does not occur, as is the case for some values of the pipe curvature in the example. Dan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.