Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About how to calculate the S-parameters on certain port using line integration in COMSOL 5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am doing simulations with RF module. It is about the plasmonic resonance in MIM structures.

Actually I would like to use more than one active input ports in my structure. However, when using more than one input port, COMSOL will not provide the S-matrix components in the post-computation list. Hence, I need to figure out a way in order to calculate the S-parameters using mathematical operations.

From the RF user guide manual, the S11, S21, and S31 can be calculated using the following equations (attached below).

So after simulation (parametric sweep on wavelength) is done I have the computed magnitude of electric field which is in COMSOL "emw.normE".

Then according to the equations in COMSOL RF user guide in order to calculate S11, I need first to subtract the magnitude of the computed field from the magnitude of the incident electric field to get the magnitude of the reflected. For the incident field in my simulations I used "in plane" electric field excitation so I have Ex = 1V/m and Ey = 1V/m. Therefore I subtract emw.normE from sqrt(2) (magnitude of the incident electric field).

This is the equation I used to calculate S11 and should be consistent to that reported in COMSOL RF userguide:
S11 = line_integration_along_the_input_port_length( (emw.normE-sqrt(2))*sqrt(2)) / 2

The results (attached below) for the S11 calculated by equation is not similar to that obtained by COMSOL in the post-processing list (attached below).

So my question is how to calculate the S11 parameters using the line integration on COMSOL 5?

Waiting sincerely for your help.

Best regards,
Hassan

3 Replies Last Post Jul 12, 2017, 11:06 a.m. EDT

Posted: 8 years ago Sep 26, 2016, 4:28 a.m. EDT
Hello,

Still not solved yet, waiting for your reply.

Thanks,
Hassan

Hello, Still not solved yet, waiting for your reply. Thanks, Hassan

Posted: 8 years ago Sep 29, 2016, 2:11 a.m. EDT
Hello,

Still not solved yet, waiting for your reply.

Thanks,
Hassan
Hello, Still not solved yet, waiting for your reply. Thanks, Hassan

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 12, 2017, 11:06 a.m. EDT
Dear Hassan,

Thank you for rising this problem in the forum. I have a simpler problem and find my answer in the Comsol RF guide based on your reference. Although I don't know how to solve your problem, I hope you have solved your problem already. Many thanks.

Best wishes,

Binbin
Dear Hassan, Thank you for rising this problem in the forum. I have a simpler problem and find my answer in the Comsol RF guide based on your reference. Although I don't know how to solve your problem, I hope you have solved your problem already. Many thanks. Best wishes, Binbin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.