Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laminar flow and automatic remeshing on fold up edge

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm working with this model since a long time, but I cannot make it works fine.
I'm simulating a model in which an external pressure acting on a limited area pushes on a viscous liquid that is evaporating. The viscous liquid surface is going down with a prescribed velocity, and with the pressure acting on the center of the hole the liquid forms a rim on the surface, as you can see in the figure.

I realized it in 2d axissymmetric with:
Heat transfer: it models the increase in temperature (from which the evaporation velocity depends).
Laminar flow: it models the flow of liquid. The pressure is located around the axis and is applied as open boundary, normal to surface.
Moving mesh: on the top it's applied a prescribed velocity, in r direction acts u velocity of liquid, and on z direction acts w-vvap(T), algebraic sum of liquid velocity and evaporation velocity.

I study it with a time dependent study, an extremely fine mesh over the entire domain and the automatic remeshing node enabled.
During the simulation, while formation of the rim, the solver remeshes when condition on quality is encountered. But happens that the upper edge folds onto himself as you can see in picture, and the solver stops with "intersecting element" error.

I'm asking you: is there a way to impose to solver to ignore the fold up and to impose to remesh correctly the domain? How can I impose to merge the upper edge with himself when it falls onto himself?

Thank a lot in advance!
Mattia

0 Replies Last Post Oct 25, 2016, 1:08 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mattia Zambolin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.