Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Primary Currents for 3 electrode system

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am trying to simulate a sensor design for my research. My sensor consists of three electrodes which I would like to study the primary current distribution within the electrolyte. I have uploaded a .jpg identifying my three electrodes.

Every time I try to perform a study, it results in an error:
Failed to find a solution.
The relative residual (#) is greater than the relative tolerance.
Returned solution is not converged.
- Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1)

I am not sure how I should be tweaking my model to get it to run. Can anyone help me out in how I am defining my physics to get a converging solution?

3 Replies Last Post Nov 17, 2016, 3:01 a.m. EST

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 14, 2016, 2:06 a.m. EST
Hi

Is that a dilemma that you are applying primary current distribution also in the domain that has been defined isolated? Also, the reference electrode does not participate in the current conduction. I have not tried this but should it also be isolated?

Lasse
Hi Is that a dilemma that you are applying primary current distribution also in the domain that has been defined isolated? Also, the reference electrode does not participate in the current conduction. I have not tried this but should it also be isolated? Lasse

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 16, 2016, 4:45 p.m. EST
Lasse,

I am honestly not very sure when you say that I have defined the currents in a domain that is "isolated." I am not seeing where in my model I have defined any physics as such. Maybe you can point out where I can fix this?

Hunter
Lasse, I am honestly not very sure when you say that I have defined the currents in a domain that is "isolated." I am not seeing where in my model I have defined any physics as such. Maybe you can point out where I can fix this? Hunter

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 17, 2016, 3:01 a.m. EST
Hi

You have primary current distribution also in the glass substrate and in the reference electrode.

Lasse
Hi You have primary current distribution also in the glass substrate and in the reference electrode. Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.