Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help with symmetry conditions and parameterizing a surface

Cyril Jerome Bernardo

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello COMSOL helpers,

I am having two problems with my model--one concerning utilizing symmetry conditions, and the other being parameterizing a surface for an optimization study.

Symmetry:

I intend on using symmetry to cut down the model's compute time. However, I am unsure if I am doing this correctly because it uses multiphysics and I'm confused when I use the condition on the solid boundaries. Could some consult on this?

Parameterizing the surface:

In optimization examples online, surfaces are parameterized in the 2-D axisymmetric coordinate systems. In my model, I don't have that eligibility but would like to parameterize a whole surface to take on different shapes with freedom in three dimensions. I imagine this would involve parametric equations, but I do not know how to implement those in COMSOL--does anyone have an example I could look at?

File can be found at this link: drive.google.com/file/d/0B4vK96OnkofnbkxiN0NjSEZMZXM/view?usp=sharing

I had trouble attaching it because it was too big. It is 7MB.

2 Replies Last Post Nov 15, 2016, 5:01 a.m. EST
David Kan COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 14, 2016, 12:45 p.m. EST
Hi Cyril Jerome,

Thanks for your message. This would be better handled at COMSOL support: www.comsol.com/support. A support case can handle 7Mb files. For files bigger than 10 Mb, we have an FTP server. For info on that, see: www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1098/

Please start a support case at www.comsol.com/support. Someone will get back to you promptly.

Note that this forum is more for discussion among your fellow users. Here, replies can be spotty and of varying quality.
Hi Cyril Jerome, Thanks for your message. This would be better handled at COMSOL support: www.comsol.com/support. A support case can handle 7Mb files. For files bigger than 10 Mb, we have an FTP server. For info on that, see: https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1098/ Please start a support case at www.comsol.com/support. Someone will get back to you promptly. Note that this forum is more for discussion among your fellow users. Here, replies can be spotty and of varying quality.

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 15, 2016, 5:01 a.m. EST
The symmetry condition depends on the physics. Look at the Equation view associated with the Symmetry node.
The symmetry condition depends on the physics. Look at the Equation view associated with the Symmetry node.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.