Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving boundary problem in the pitting corrosion of multigrain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, everyone

I'm facing a problem about the pitting corrosion of multigrain structure. I want to get dynamics results of the pitting corosion rate. I know that we can get the velocity of the electrode boundary movement using v=i*M/(n*F*rho), when it comes to the multigrains problem, can we get the different moving velocity among different grains? In the experiement, there are many grains along the front of the pit, the first grain will be corroded away, and then it comes to the boundary of the next grain, so another chemical reaction will have with a new overpotential condition. Can we simulate this corrosion process? When I tried this with multigrain (multi domain) model, the movement of the electrode boundary was limited within one grain (one domian), is this the limitation of the software, or is there any way to solve this problem? Thank you.

Best
Xin

2 Replies Last Post Feb 25, 2017, 8:03 a.m. EST

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 24, 2017, 1:51 a.m. EST
Hello Mr Wu,

I am a beginner to COMSOL,

I am trying to solve a simple electrochemistry problem with "corrosion primary current distribution interface". However, I am getting convergence error as below. Kindly help me out if possible. Thank you.

Undefined variable.
- Variable: comp1.siec.nnondefr
- Geometry: geom1
- Boundary: 4
Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression.
- Expression: comp1.siec.nnondefr
Failed to evaluate Jacobian of operator.
- Operator: mean
- Point: 8
Failed to evaluate Jacobian of variable.
- Variable: comp1.siec.nnondefr
- Point: 8
- Expression: (comp1.des1.Hmbs*comp1.des1.nnondefz)*dvol_geometry
- Expression: (comp1.des1.Hmbs*(comp1.des1.nnondefr*test(vmbsr)+comp1.des1.nnondefz*test(vmbsz)))*(dvol_geometry)
Hello Mr Wu, I am a beginner to COMSOL, I am trying to solve a simple electrochemistry problem with "corrosion primary current distribution interface". However, I am getting convergence error as below. Kindly help me out if possible. Thank you. Undefined variable. - Variable: comp1.siec.nnondefr - Geometry: geom1 - Boundary: 4 Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression. - Expression: comp1.siec.nnondefr Failed to evaluate Jacobian of operator. - Operator: mean - Geometry: geom1 - Point: 8 Failed to evaluate Jacobian of variable. - Variable: comp1.siec.nnondefr - Geometry: geom1 - Point: 8 Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression. - Expression: (comp1.des1.Hmbs*comp1.des1.nnondefz)*dvol_geometry Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression. - Expression: (comp1.des1.Hmbs*(comp1.des1.nnondefr*test(vmbsr)+comp1.des1.nnondefz*test(vmbsz)))*(dvol_geometry)

Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 25, 2017, 8:03 a.m. EST

Hello, everyone

I'm facing a problem about the pitting corrosion of multigrain structure. I want to get dynamics results of the pitting corosion rate. I know that we can get the velocity of the electrode boundary movement using v=i*M/(n*F*rho), when it comes to the multigrains problem, can we get the different moving velocity among different grains? In the experiement, there are many grains along the front of the pit, the first grain will be corroded away, and then it comes to the boundary of the next grain, so another chemical reaction will have with a new overpotential condition. Can we simulate this corrosion process? When I tried this with multigrain (multi domain) model, the movement of the electrode boundary was limited within one grain (one domian), is this the limitation of the software, or is there any way to solve this problem? Thank you.

Best
Xin

I'm not sure that I understand your problem properly but it may be worthwhile for you to check out the 'deformed geometry' interface. Support recently helped me resolve a problem that I was having where I needed to pass a slightly deformed geometry to another study where it was subjected to different physics. The "moving mesh ALE" interface may be more appropriate for you as well. If you upload your model, I could take a look at it and see if I can get a better grasp of what you're trying to accomplish.
[QUOTE] Hello, everyone I'm facing a problem about the pitting corrosion of multigrain structure. I want to get dynamics results of the pitting corosion rate. I know that we can get the velocity of the electrode boundary movement using v=i*M/(n*F*rho), when it comes to the multigrains problem, can we get the different moving velocity among different grains? In the experiement, there are many grains along the front of the pit, the first grain will be corroded away, and then it comes to the boundary of the next grain, so another chemical reaction will have with a new overpotential condition. Can we simulate this corrosion process? When I tried this with multigrain (multi domain) model, the movement of the electrode boundary was limited within one grain (one domian), is this the limitation of the software, or is there any way to solve this problem? Thank you. Best Xin [/QUOTE] I'm not sure that I understand your problem properly but it may be worthwhile for you to check out the 'deformed geometry' interface. Support recently helped me resolve a problem that I was having where I needed to pass a slightly deformed geometry to another study where it was subjected to different physics. The "moving mesh ALE" interface may be more appropriate for you as well. If you upload your model, I could take a look at it and see if I can get a better grasp of what you're trying to accomplish.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.