Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Animated Magnetic Field of 3-Phase Cable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I tried using the model "www.comsol.de/model/electromagnetic-forces-on-parallel-current-carrying-wires-131" to create a 3-phase cable carrying current with a 120° phase shift. I use the time domain and first I tried to set three different current parameters like " 6[A]*sin(2*pi*50[Hz]*t[s]+120[deg]) " and now I tried to use directly the term " 6[A]*sin(2*pi*50[Hz]*t[s]+120[deg])/(pi*r^2) " as external current density. But unfortunatley the resuting magentic field does not behave as expected. The attached .gif shows the magentic field, which is not correctly in phase. I also attached the .mph-file.

I want to use the time domain, because I want to animate the magnetic field. But I was wondering what the frequency domain can show me after calculation because when I shuld get an alternating field it showed e stationary field around each of the three wires.

Can someone help me?

2 Replies Last Post Mar 23, 2017, 1:52 p.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 22, 2017, 7:40 p.m. EDT
A frequency domain solution yields the sinusoidal steady state solution: that is, it yields the (complex) phasor value of every quantity solved for. This is all you need to produce an animation of the magnetic field.

You need to use the "dynamic data extension" option.

DW Greve
DWGreve Consulting
A frequency domain solution yields the sinusoidal steady state solution: that is, it yields the (complex) phasor value of every quantity solved for. This is all you need to produce an animation of the magnetic field. You need to use the "dynamic data extension" option. DW Greve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 23, 2017, 1:52 p.m. EDT
Okay thanks. It helped a lot. Now I'm using frequency domain and I want to plot a graph distance(of a probe to the wires) vs. Magnetic flux density, y-component. I did it with a Cut Line 2D and a 1D-Plot-Group and a Linegraph. Now I have a nice graph but are the values the maxima(peak values) of the wave?
Okay thanks. It helped a lot. Now I'm using frequency domain and I want to plot a graph distance(of a probe to the wires) vs. Magnetic flux density, y-component. I did it with a Cut Line 2D and a 1D-Plot-Group and a Linegraph. Now I have a nice graph but are the values the maxima(peak values) of the wave?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.