Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculation of fluid flux

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

in older versions of comsol, there used to be a variable that one could integrate in order to get the fluid flow across a boundary, which was called something like flux (I can't quite remember its name).

How can I integrate the fluid flow rate (e.g. in Darcy's law module) in m3/sec across a model boundary in version 4.1?
There is no such variable called flux or similar.
Would dl.U be what I need?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Juergen

2 Replies Last Post Jan 7, 2014, 1:49 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 15, 2011, 9:39 a.m. EST
Hi

normally you find the correct variables in the "Results - Derived Values - right click - domain=volume, boundary=surface, ... integration" node >< green/red arrow or justa CNTRL enter in the formula field => then select from list

Unfortunately the units are not shown (before you load the variable) so you must know what you are looking for. When I'm lost, I turn on the equations view (on by default for me) in the preferences, and I scan through the internal variables of COMSOL appearing in the last sub-node

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally you find the correct variables in the "Results - Derived Values - right click - domain=volume, boundary=surface, ... integration" node >< green/red arrow or justa CNTRL enter in the formula field => then select from list Unfortunately the units are not shown (before you load the variable) so you must know what you are looking for. When I'm lost, I turn on the equations view (on by default for me) in the preferences, and I scan through the internal variables of COMSOL appearing in the last sub-node -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 7, 2014, 1:49 p.m. EST
This is an old question now, but here's how to do it. Under definitions, define an integration (Definitions > Component Coupling > Integration), selecting the boundary across you want to integrate. After running the simulation, define a global evaluation (Derived Values > Global Evaluation). Then, integrate for a variable across the boundary by entering an expression with the following form: <name of integration>(<interface name>.<variable>).
This is an old question now, but here's how to do it. Under definitions, define an integration (Definitions > Component Coupling > Integration), selecting the boundary across you want to integrate. After running the simulation, define a global evaluation (Derived Values > Global Evaluation). Then, integrate for a variable across the boundary by entering an expression with the following form: (.).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.