Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RF module: lumped ports and symmetry planes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

Is it possible to use a symmetry plane (using a PMC in my case) that would cut in half a uniform lumped port?

I only found an old post about that, saying that in Comsol 3.5 it was not possible and you had to define your port "by hands". I wonder if it's possible now ?

I tried it just like that, on a simple model (coplanar microstrip waveguide, the symmetry plane being along the propagation axis), and it seems to give strange results...

Many thanks,
--
SK

1 Reply Last Post Jun 27, 2017, 12:20 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sami Karkar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 27, 2017, 12:20 p.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Jun 27, 2017, 12:29 p.m. EDT
I have used lumped ports successfully in models with symmetry planes. Like so much in Comsol Multiphysics, the key is to understand the underlying physics. If your plane(s) of symmetry bisects the port (and it usually does), then you probably need to adjust the settings on it compared to a model of the full port. For example, suppose you were applying a voltage of 1v between a top and bottom edge of a lumped port, but then you cut the port in half via a horizontal cut, leaving only the upper half. Well, now you would have a port where you should apply only 0.5V, since the top and (missing) bottom would together have yielded 1V. Or consider setting an impedance. If you divide a port so that it is now like one half of two impedances in series, then the half port remaining should be assigned half the impedance (simple, right?). On the other hand, if you divide it in the other direction, so that the full port would be like two impedances in parallel, then the half port you have should be assigned twice the impedance of the full port. Interestingly, if you divide a full port into quarters (via two orthogonal symmetry planes), then the impedance doesn't change, because one of the divisions doubles it while the other reduces it by half. In summary, just follow the circuit rules! Just remember that resistances, inductances, and voltages (i.e., like batteries) add in series, while capacitances and currents add in parallel. That knowledge guides you in whether you need to be multiplying or dividing various port-related quantities by factors of 2. This can also be generalized to more complex symmetries; just think about and follow the equivalent circuits. I hope that helps.
I have used lumped ports successfully in models with symmetry planes. Like so much in Comsol Multiphysics, the key is to understand the underlying physics. If your plane(s) of symmetry bisects the port (and it usually does), then you probably need to adjust the settings on it compared to a model of the full port. For example, suppose you were applying a voltage of 1v between a top and bottom edge of a lumped port, but then you cut the port in half via a horizontal cut, leaving only the upper half. Well, now you would have a port where you should apply only 0.5V, since the top and (missing) bottom would together have yielded 1V. Or consider setting an impedance. If you divide a port so that it is now like one half of two impedances in series, then the half port remaining should be assigned half the impedance (simple, right?). On the other hand, if you divide it in the other direction, so that the full port would be like two impedances in parallel, then the half port you have should be assigned twice the impedance of the full port. Interestingly, if you divide a full port into quarters (via two orthogonal symmetry planes), then the impedance doesn't change, because one of the divisions doubles it while the other reduces it by half. In summary, just follow the circuit rules! Just remember that resistances, inductances, and voltages (i.e., like batteries) add in series, while capacitances and currents add in parallel. That knowledge guides you in whether you need to be multiplying or dividing various port-related quantities by factors of 2. This can also be generalized to more complex symmetries; just think about and follow the equivalent circuits. I hope that helps.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.