Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Swirl flow option for the Fan boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I´m trying to simulate the outlet flow of a fan with the swirl flow option for the fan boundary condition as shown in these pictures: cdn.comsol.com/release/52a/cfd-module/swirl-flow-model.png , cdn.comsol.com/release/52a/cfd-module/swirl-flow-ui.png

I use Comsol 5.2a with the CFD module. My value for revolutions per time is: f=83,3 1/s. I already tried as swirl ratio csf=0.05, csf=0.1, csf=0.2, but my inlet flow is always normal to the fan plane.

1. Is there any tutorial in which the swirl flow option for the fan boundary condition is explained? I haven´t found one.
2. What do I need to do to get a swirl as shown in the picture above?
3. I there any formula to calculate or anyway to figure out the swirl ratio of a fan? For example, when I know the angles of the outlet flow along the radius of the fan.

0 Replies Last Post Jun 7, 2017, 11:36 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Christopher Hein

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.