Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezoelectric Fluid-Structure Interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

What are the modules that I use Comsol about the piezo- Fluid-Structure Interaction(FSI) ?
Are there any example with this type of setup?

(i) Piezo solid
(ii) Moving mesh (ale)
(iii) Incompresible Navier Stokes

3 Replies Last Post Mar 5, 2011, 2:45 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 5, 2011, 3:50 a.m. EST
Hi

I do not believe its already set up as a "pre-cooked" physics, but I do not see why you cannot couple it in yourself, you need to carefully check the interactions and physics link as for any complex multiphysics combination. It's certainly far easier in V4 than V3.5a

Really for these type of questions the bet reply is from your local COMSOL rep, they could even, perhaps, provide you with an example ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not believe its already set up as a "pre-cooked" physics, but I do not see why you cannot couple it in yourself, you need to carefully check the interactions and physics link as for any complex multiphysics combination. It's certainly far easier in V4 than V3.5a Really for these type of questions the bet reply is from your local COMSOL rep, they could even, perhaps, provide you with an example ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 5, 2011, 12:08 p.m. EST

Which module of Comsol should I use?

(i) Piezo solid
(ii) Moving mesh (ale)
(iii) Incompresible Navier Stokes

Or

(i) Piezo solid
(ii) Solid, stress-strain
(iii) Moving mesh (ale)
(iv) Incompresible Navier Stokes

If this setting, what is the output of the piezo module that will be the input (Load: Fx, Fy, Fz) to Solid Stress ?

Thanks a lot
Which module of Comsol should I use? (i) Piezo solid (ii) Moving mesh (ale) (iii) Incompresible Navier Stokes Or (i) Piezo solid (ii) Solid, stress-strain (iii) Moving mesh (ale) (iv) Incompresible Navier Stokes If this setting, what is the output of the piezo module that will be the input (Load: Fx, Fy, Fz) to Solid Stress ? Thanks a lot

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 5, 2011, 2:45 p.m. EST
Hi

that choice depends on the complexity of your model. PZT replaces solid/structural for PZT materials (and even non PZT with some care) so normally no need to add PZT and Structural, except if you have only a few domains tru PZ ad many structural and fluidics, then perhaps you need to add also structural. PZT adds also electric I/F

Navier stokes for the fluid, then depending on the motion you might need ALE, indeed, or at least an extra frame for the deformations

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that choice depends on the complexity of your model. PZT replaces solid/structural for PZT materials (and even non PZT with some care) so normally no need to add PZT and Structural, except if you have only a few domains tru PZ ad many structural and fluidics, then perhaps you need to add also structural. PZT adds also electric I/F Navier stokes for the fluid, then depending on the motion you might need ALE, indeed, or at least an extra frame for the deformations -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.