Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

specify your own partial differential equations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Looking at the documentation (Produits/COMSOL Multiphysics), I read what follows:

"Or you can specify your own partial differential equations (PDEs) and link them with other equations and physics."

I really would like to know more about this subject.
What kind of equations ? with what kind of operators ? ...
Could somebody give me links to tutorials or any other kind o
documentation ?
Thank you very much in advance.

Michel

12 Replies Last Post Jun 5, 2015, 10:37 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 7, 2011, 6:01 a.m. EST
Hi

Check the list of Math physics, basically the PDE of the coefficient form entering the shape given hereafter are solved, so long we talk about well defined BVP. The all terms might be analytical functions not just constants, which often leads to non linear problems. Higher order equations must be preprocessed manually to get down to 2nd order by a adding a few new intermediate variables.

Check with your local rep to follow one of the training courses, or the free workshops

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Check the list of Math physics, basically the PDE of the coefficient form entering the shape given hereafter are solved, so long we talk about well defined BVP. The all terms might be analytical functions not just constants, which often leads to non linear problems. Higher order equations must be preprocessed manually to get down to 2nd order by a adding a few new intermediate variables. Check with your local rep to follow one of the training courses, or the free workshops -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 7, 2011, 5:21 p.m. EST
Hi Michel

There was a webinar recently on this topic. Pls. find the link below, hope it works:

event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=lobby.jsp&eventid=279197&sessionid=1&key=A1137B547075F8D75C99F19059C74E7D&eventuserid=45987308

best regards

Andras
Hi Michel There was a webinar recently on this topic. Pls. find the link below, hope it works: http://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=lobby.jsp&eventid=279197&sessionid=1&key=A1137B547075F8D75C99F19059C74E7D&eventuserid=45987308 best regards Andras

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 7, 2011, 6:45 p.m. EST
Hi Michel,
We just posted new videos to our blog that will walk you through 3 different examples.
www.comsol.com/community/blogs/multiphysics/108/

--
COMSOL - Web Program Manager
www.linkedin.com/in/briankenyon
Hi Michel, We just posted new videos to our blog that will walk you through 3 different examples. http://www.comsol.com/community/blogs/multiphysics/108/ -- COMSOL - Web Program Manager http://www.linkedin.com/in/briankenyon

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 16, 2011, 11:22 a.m. EDT
Hello,

Thank you very much for all the great documentation you
provided me.
The video are very clear about what COMSOL can do.

It appears that an user can enter his own equations
through general template equations by acting on the
coefficients.

Also in the webinar, a slide mentions the possibility
to enter a PDE in weak form.
This is exactly what I am interested in.
In that case do we use some kind of template models ?
Is it possible to have an exhaustive list of the
available operator ? Is there a example available ?

Thank you in advance.
Michel
Hello, Thank you very much for all the great documentation you provided me. The video are very clear about what COMSOL can do. It appears that an user can enter his own equations through general template equations by acting on the coefficients. Also in the webinar, a slide mentions the possibility to enter a PDE in weak form. This is exactly what I am interested in. In that case do we use some kind of template models ? Is it possible to have an exhaustive list of the available operator ? Is there a example available ? Thank you in advance. Michel

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 7, 2012, 1:15 a.m. EST
Hi Michel,

Have you solved the issue?
I am also interested in similar kind of help, if you resolved your issues or you have any documentation in this regard, can you please share it with me?
By the way, I am using COMSOL 4.0 a.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman
Hi Michel, Have you solved the issue? I am also interested in similar kind of help, if you resolved your issues or you have any documentation in this regard, can you please share it with me? By the way, I am using COMSOL 4.0 a. Many thanks in advance. Regards, Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 18, 2012, 1:32 a.m. EST
Hi Andras,

When I clicked on the link, it showed this webinar is no longer available.Can you please send me a copy if you have one?

Many thanks.
Hi Andras, When I clicked on the link, it showed this webinar is no longer available.Can you please send me a copy if you have one? Many thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2012, 2:21 a.m. EST
what happened with the webinar!!!!!!
what happened with the webinar!!!!!!

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2012, 11:06 p.m. EST
When I click on it, it shows "This presentation is no longer available"!

Can you access it?
When I click on it, it shows "This presentation is no longer available"! Can you access it?

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 27, 2012, 12:50 a.m. EST
nope..... just now when I need to do sth with Differencial eq!!!!
nope..... just now when I need to do sth with Differencial eq!!!!

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 15, 2013, 10:08 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I have the same problem in defining my own PDE. I can not open the webinar link. would you please somebody send it to me?

Thanks
Hanie
Hi, I have the same problem in defining my own PDE. I can not open the webinar link. would you please somebody send it to me? Thanks Hanie

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 10, 2014, 12:56 a.m. EDT
helllo!!

can some one plz guide me on how to give a user defined coefficient in the PDE.
i need the very same for the simulation of a multi-phase problem and i need to give the coefficients as a function of the density, mass-fraction, evaporation rate and other similar variables.
helllo!! can some one plz guide me on how to give a user defined coefficient in the PDE. i need the very same for the simulation of a multi-phase problem and i need to give the coefficients as a function of the density, mass-fraction, evaporation rate and other similar variables.

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 5, 2015, 10:37 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I have the same problem in defining my own PDE. I can not open the webinar link. would you please somebody send it to me?

Thanks
Sikandar
Hi, I have the same problem in defining my own PDE. I can not open the webinar link. would you please somebody send it to me? Thanks Sikandar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.