Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling a Kerr Effect

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello.

I want to model a material with birefringence that depends on the electric field inside the medium, similar to the Kerr effect where the index depends on the square of the field. This is complicated by the fact that:

1. The field is not uniform.
2. The index dependence on the field is slightly different than a power of 2 (perhaps 1.5).
3. There is an added continuous spatial modulation to the birefringence.

How can this can be done? I suspect the easiest way to just throw the electric field into the differential equations. Is that possible and how can I do that?

Thank you.

2 Replies Last Post May 23, 2013, 11:50 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello cchriste

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 22, 2013, 9:38 a.m. EDT
Dear cchriste

did you solve your problem ? if so , please just give me a hint because i have a similar one.

Best regards

Hassanain
Dear cchriste did you solve your problem ? if so , please just give me a hint because i have a similar one. Best regards Hassanain

Posted: 1 decade ago May 23, 2013, 11:50 a.m. EDT
It has been a while, but I was trying to model how a beam would propagate through this Kerr-like material with different electrode structures, like a waveguide. I used the Comsol electrostatics physics to determine the applied electric field. I could then determine the index from these field variables, and then solved the beam propagation using differential equations with the index as a parameter.

I think I also tried to express the material index in terms of the applied electric field variables and use the EM physics package to calculate the beam propagation, but this was either too complicated or too slow, I am not sure. My approach with the DiffEqs sacrificed some physics but ended up being much easier.

I Hope that helps.
It has been a while, but I was trying to model how a beam would propagate through this Kerr-like material with different electrode structures, like a waveguide. I used the Comsol electrostatics physics to determine the applied electric field. I could then determine the index from these field variables, and then solved the beam propagation using differential equations with the index as a parameter. I think I also tried to express the material index in terms of the applied electric field variables and use the EM physics package to calculate the beam propagation, but this was either too complicated or too slow, I am not sure. My approach with the DiffEqs sacrificed some physics but ended up being much easier. I Hope that helps.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.