Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

radiation from oscillating permanent magnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I am new to COMSOL! I started using it about a month ago. What I am trying to simulate is the EM radiation from a rotating permanent magnet. I have managed to model the rotating magnet with Rotating Machinery, Magnetic. For the radiation I should use RF module, right? Could I combine these two? Or is there a way to model the rotating magnet through the RF module?

Thanks in advance!

Stylianos

4 Replies Last Post Aug 5, 2017, 5:48 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 3, 2017, 11:50 a.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Aug 3, 2017, 11:53 a.m. EDT
Interesting. If you don't mind my asking, would you be willing to tell the forum a bit more about your problem? In most cases, a physically-rotating magnet would not spin so fast that radiation would become an important consideration. That is, the time-varying local EM fields could be computed in a conventional quasi-static manner quite accurately. And even if you could spin a physical magnet as fast as, say, 100,000 RPM, the wavelength of the resulting free-space radiation would still be 3 km. And at 10,000 RPM, the wavelength would be 30 km. So in most everyday situations, the local-field interactions (e.g., anything within a 100 meters of your magnet) would probably be of far more interest to you than the radiated fields.

Are you, by some chance, attempting to model something more exotic than just an everyday permanent magnet -- such as a rotating black hole or neutron star, a fundamental particle, or something like that? Are you speculating that large rotating magnets could somehow be applied in VLF communications (such as with submarines)? Or... might your question be just a hypothetical physics problem, such as for a physics class discussion? Just curious. Best regards.
Interesting. If you don't mind my asking, would you be willing to tell the forum a bit more about your problem? In most cases, a physically-rotating magnet would not spin so fast that radiation would become an important consideration. That is, the time-varying local EM fields could be computed in a conventional quasi-static manner quite accurately. And even if you could spin a physical magnet as fast as, say, 100,000 RPM, the wavelength of the resulting free-space radiation would still be 3 km. And at 10,000 RPM, the wavelength would be 30 km. So in most everyday situations, the local-field interactions (e.g., anything within a 100 meters of your magnet) would probably be of far more interest to you than the radiated fields. Are you, by some chance, attempting to model something more exotic than just an everyday permanent magnet -- such as a rotating black hole or neutron star, a fundamental particle, or something like that? Are you speculating that large rotating magnets could somehow be applied in VLF communications (such as with submarines)? Or... might your question be just a hypothetical physics problem, such as for a physics class discussion? Just curious. Best regards.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 3, 2017, 1:24 p.m. EDT
You could calculate the (static) magnetic dipole moment and then go into emw, set up two perpendicular magnetic point dipoles 90 degrees out of phase.

D.W. Greve
DWGreve Consulting
You could calculate the (static) magnetic dipole moment and then go into emw, set up two perpendicular magnetic point dipoles 90 degrees out of phase. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 5, 2017, 5:45 a.m. EDT
Thank you for your answer Mr Robert Koslover,

I have been aware of the problems you mentioned. It's just a crazy idea about something but it's soon to talk about it. It's mostly curiosity.
Thank you for your answer Mr Robert Koslover, I have been aware of the problems you mentioned. It's just a crazy idea about something but it's soon to talk about it. It's mostly curiosity.

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 5, 2017, 5:48 a.m. EDT
Thank you for the answer, Mr Greve!

You would you mind giving me some more details if possible?
Thank you in advance!
Thank you for the answer, Mr Greve! You would you mind giving me some more details if possible? Thank you in advance!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.