Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Voice Coil Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have an issue with my simulation of a Voice Coil. I have defined a 2-D axis symmetric geometry with two poleplates(soft iron), a permanentmagnet(air) and a coil (homogenized multiturn, copper).
The Problem that I am facing is that if I am using soft iron with losses for the poleplates the inductance of the coil drops with the frequency. Has this something to do with the current density induced in the poleplates by the coil? If I am using soft iron without losses then there is no current density induced in the poleplates because the electric conductivity of the poleplates is zero. In this case there is no drop of the inductance. Still it seems counterintuitive that the inductance drops that much at frequenzys below the MHz range. Also the impedance of the Coil equals its resistance in both cases and not the squareroot of resistance^2 + reactance^2.
The remanent flux density of the permanent magnet is 0.5T in the z direction, I am using the HB curve of the iron for the magnetization and the current of the coil is an alternating current of 2A.

I was not able to attatch the file to this post because of the size of it therefore I uploaded it to a filehoster.
www.file-upload.net/download-12652490/VoiceCoilFreq.zip.html

Best regards,
Jonathan

0 Replies Last Post Aug 10, 2017, 9:55 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jonathan Schaust

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.