Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat pipe modelling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model the heat transfer of a solar thermal collector in stagnation, so the water is not moving.

I am modelling the heat pipe as a material of very high effective thermal conductivity (10 000 W/mK). This works when fluid in collector is flowing.

In stagnation, heat starts flowing in the simulation in the opposite direction (towards evaporator). The heat pipe used can conduct heat only in the direction of its condenser and not the other way around. I have tried defining evaporator end of heat pipe as adiabatic to stop this from occuring. However this does not solve the problem. Anisotropic material properties can only define the property in both senses of any direction and are not very helpful.

Is there any tip or trick to set the thermal conductivity in a specific sense of a direction (0 in the negative x sense and 10 000 in the positive x sense)? or maybe to model heat pipes more accurately in comsol?

0 Replies Last Post Aug 15, 2017, 9:44 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mohamad Haidar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.