Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Non-zero divergence of D and B fields in ewfd Mode Analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am solving for the mode of a silicon nanowire. I am interested in the bound current and bound charge distributions within the waveguide, as I would like to evaluate the electromagnetically induced mechanical forces within the structure.

I have investigated the charge and current densities, and was not satisfied with the results. The divergence of the D and B fields is non-zero (attached) -- which is a non-physical result. Refinements to the mesh do not cause these quantities to converge to zero.

The reason the divergences is non-zero is due to the master equation for the Wave Equation physics interface does not require them to be. Is there a way to transform these solutions to satisfy these constraints? Is it possible to constrain the solver to set these quantities to zero?

1 Reply Last Post Oct 31, 2017, 5:23 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Warren Jin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Oct 31, 2017, 5:23 p.m. EDT

I was calculating the divergence incorrectly. The Bz field has no spatial variation in 2D symmetry, the correct expression is:

d(ewfd.Bx,x)+d(ewfd.By,y)+lambda*ewfd.Bz

I was calculating the divergence incorrectly. The Bz field has no spatial variation in 2D symmetry, the correct expression is: d(ewfd.Bx,x)+d(ewfd.By,y)+lambda*ewfd.Bz

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.