Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating torque of an electric motor in manual

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

Hi, I'd like to calculate torque of an electric motor model in 2D. The model consists of "Rotating Machine, Magnetic(rmm)" physics and "stationary" study (in quasi-static sens). For special reasons, it must be done without "Force Calculation" node. I know the fundamentals such that;

Maxwell's stress tensor,

Torque calculating formular,

In the integrand of the torque calculating formular, the term itself can be expressed with comsol expressions;

rmm.nTx_name and rmm.nTy_name

And also, according to the Maxwell's stress tensor, it can be expressed in comsol like;

rmm.Bx*(rmm.Bx*nx + 2*rmm.By*ny)/(2*mu0_const) and rmm.By*(2*rmm.Bx*nx + rmm.By*ny)/(2*mu0_const).

But, there is a difference between the two. The first attached figure tells it is.

And after integrating them through the edges of the rotor the difference gets larger. In the second figure, blue line is the torque vs angle curve obtained by the "Force Calculation" node and green one by manual.

I've considered replacing with ( that is rmm.normB/rmm.normH ) but there was no big difference.

What is the reason of this difference? Does it just due to the numerical error? If it shows us significant difference to calculate torque with Maxwell's stress tensor, how does comsol do?

1 Reply Last Post Apr 10, 2018, 4:19 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Minsik Seo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Apr 10, 2018, 4:19 a.m. EDT

Did you solve the problem? I also had similar problems. I think the main problem is grid.

Did you solve the problem? I also had similar problems. I think the main problem is grid.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.