Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using previous solutions as initial conditions for next step in a study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model some simple diffusion through water over multiple days. The only wrinkle is that the source and sink concentrations are reset to initial values every 24 hours while the rest of the component is left unchanged from the end of the previous 24 hour cycle. I've looked into a lot of posts on using previous solutions, but nothing is quite similar enough to what I'm trying to accomplish to be helpful. I'm still a novice so it might just be as simple as my lack of understanding the terminology used COMSOL. Thanks in advance!

1 Reply Last Post Nov 10, 2017, 8:33 a.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Nov 10, 2017, 8:33 a.m. EST

If I understand correctly, you want to perform a transient simulation where some of the inputs (source and sink concentrations) vary periodically with a period of 24 hours. In that case, do a single time-dependent study covering the entire time span of interest (i.e. multiple days) in which you employ periodic functions for your inputs, as explained in this thread https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/103901/step-function-for-battery-module?last=2017-02-10T22:31:07Z .

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
If I understand correctly, you want to perform a transient simulation where some of the inputs (source and sink concentrations) vary periodically with a period of 24 hours. In that case, do a single time-dependent study covering the entire time span of interest (i.e. multiple days) in which you employ periodic functions for your inputs, as explained in this thread https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/103901/step-function-for-battery-module?last=2017-02-10T22:31:07Z . Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.