Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

In the temperature related-viscoelastic model, where to set the temperature values?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all, I am doing a simulation on the polymer defromation behaviour and try to apply the viscoelastic model for the deformation behaviour. As we konw that the voscoelastic behaviour is temperature related, so here I would like to ask where to set the temperature value to relate the polymer temperature and the viscoelastic model? For example, suppose my polymer is undergoing the temperautre T(t), where shall I set this T(t)? Is it in the reference temperature under thermal effects, where is also under the shift function tree. Here I usre WLF shift fucntion? or in the temperature setting in Model Input of the vsicoelastic setting tree? or in the temperature setting in Model Input of Linear Elastic material tree? or set it in the strain reference temperature in either vsicoelastic setting tree or Linear Elastic material tree? I will attach the three place than mentioned above. Any other ideasare welcome! Thanks a lot for the support!

2 Replies Last Post Mar 7, 2018, 8:12 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago Mar 6, 2018, 9:55 a.m. EST
Updated: 6 years ago Mar 6, 2018, 9:56 a.m. EST

Hi Sijie,

The temperature used in the shift function comes from the field shown in your 2.JPG. The example viscoelastic_tube in the Application Libraries shows an example with a varying temperature.

https://www.comsol.com/model/stress-relaxation-of-a-viscoelastic-tube-4491

The temperature in Linear Elastic is used for temperature dependent material properties, like Young's modulus. These temperatures would of course usually be the same.

If you have a Temperature Coupling multiphysics coupling, like in your example, all these temperatures are fed from the coupled Heat Transfer in Solids interface.

Regards,

Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Sijie, The temperature used in the shift function comes from the field shown in your 2.JPG. The example viscoelastic\_tube in the Application Libraries shows an example with a varying temperature. The temperature in Linear Elastic is used for temperature dependent material properties, like Young's modulus. These temperatures would of course usually be the same. If you have a Temperature Coupling multiphysics coupling, like in your example, all these temperatures are fed from the coupled Heat Transfer in Solids interface. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago Mar 7, 2018, 8:12 a.m. EST

Thanks a lot Henrik. Now it is quire clear fo rme !

Thanks a lot Henrik. Now it is quire clear fo rme !

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.