Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Waveguide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm simulating a simple waveguide, with an upper cladding as air and a substrate. STUDY 1 Step 1: Mode analysis. I get the effective indices of the modes. (great)

Now i add ports and do a second study to visualize the wave propagation inside. STUDY 2 Step 1: Boundary Mode Analysis 1 (desired number of modes: 3) Step 2: Boundary Mode Analysis 2 (desired number of modes: 3) Step 3: Frequency Domain When i get the result and plot, For Study2/Solution 2 (sol2): Only 1 mode is plotted at the specified frequency, so where are the others? since I had specified 3 as number of modes. For Study2/Solution Store 1 (sol3) and Study2/Solution Store 1 (sol4) : I see 3 modes but I can't plot any of them. the waveguide shows up with a green color and the bar at zero. why? My final questionm can I take the results of Study 1 and input them in Study 2 and see the propagation of the mode? if yes, may i ask how?

Thanks in advance, Sevag

2 Replies Last Post Mar 12, 2018, 7:28 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago Mar 6, 2018, 9:11 p.m. EST

Well... consider attacking the problem one mode at a time. I'm guessing your sequence of solving operations and/or settings for storing the intermediate solutions are not quite right. You might want to post your model to the forum so others can take a closer look.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Well... consider attacking the problem one mode at a time. I'm guessing your sequence of solving operations and/or settings for storing the intermediate solutions are not quite right. You might want to post your model to the forum so others can take a closer look.

Posted: 6 years ago Mar 12, 2018, 7:28 a.m. EDT

Hello, I have reduced my model to just the waveguide with upper and bottom cladding and stricted the study to 2 Boundary Mode Analysis at the input and output ports. Now again my question, Boundary Mode Analysis can find n number of modes but the Electric Field from Study1/Solution1 is just 1 plot which is the n-th mode and not the n-1 n-2 etc, and if I change to plot study1/solutionstore1 or 2 where I actually can see the effective index of the modes calculated by Boundary Mode Analysis, I have a green photo and zero everywhere. So how can i plot the propagation of waves for the other modes.

Thank you in advance,

Sevag

Hello, I have reduced my model to just the waveguide with upper and bottom cladding and stricted the study to 2 Boundary Mode Analysis at the input and output ports. Now again my question, Boundary Mode Analysis can find n number of modes but the Electric Field from Study1/Solution1 is just 1 plot which is the n-th mode and not the n-1 n-2 etc, and if I change to plot study1/solutionstore1 or 2 where I actually can see the effective index of the modes calculated by Boundary Mode Analysis, I have a green photo and zero everywhere. So how can i plot the propagation of waves for the other modes. Thank you in advance, Sevag

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.