Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Planar Spiral coil, Can not define my output.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am trying to solve for the B-field produced by a planar spiral coil on a diamond substrate. I am following along with a tutorial provided by comsol, "Modeling of a 3D inductor", but I have run into an issue. When I define my coil domain output, Comsol keeps returning the boundary I select is "not applicable". Oddly enough the same thing happens when I load in the 3d inductor example. The simulation will run and solve, but the results seems to indicate nothing is happening. I suspect my coil is not defined right and the current is not applied during the simulation. I attached my file. I was wondering if someone could try and find out why my output is not applicable and why I return no results.

Thanks in advance, Sami

1 Reply Last Post Mar 12, 2018, 12:08 p.m. EDT
Nirmal Paudel Tribhuvan University/Electrical Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Mar 12, 2018, 12:08 p.m. EDT

Hi Sami,

You would need to connect the two ends of the conductors with either just as a boundary surface or volumetric wire. For boundary, you can apply "Magnetic Insulation" and apply a "Lumped Port" for a section of it to excite. If it is a volumetric connection, you can remove a small section from the Physics node and apply "Input" and "Output" as in the Modelign of 3D Inductor example.

Best Regards, Nirmal

Hi Sami, You would need to connect the two ends of the conductors with either just as a boundary surface or volumetric wire. For boundary, you can apply "Magnetic Insulation" and apply a "Lumped Port" for a section of it to excite. If it is a volumetric connection, you can remove a small section from the Physics node and apply "Input" and "Output" as in the Modelign of 3D Inductor example. Best Regards, Nirmal

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.