Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Identity Boundary Pair with Moving Mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have two surfaces that are matched on two different bodies. I want to maintain that the two meshes are different sizes. Body 2 (courser mesh) is going drive mesh deformation of body 1 by a "moving mesh" interface. Using an identity boundary pair does not allow me to evaluate displacement of body 2 on body 1. So how do you deal with mesh deformation when the meshes aren't matched? Is there a recommended work around to deal with this?

Matched Boundaries

-------------------
Jason Nicholson

1 Reply Last Post Apr 6, 2018, 8:54 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Apr 6, 2018, 8:54 p.m. EDT
Updated: 6 years ago Apr 6, 2018, 10:14 p.m. EDT

I should have read the help more completely. It is clear what to do with the identity boundary pair.

Use src2dst_pn where pn corresponds to the name of the Identity Boundary Pair name. For instance, I want to map the x displacement and y displacement from a beam onto another object to deform it with the Moving Mesh interface. I use an Identity Boundary Pair with name ap1. The beam is the source and the rectangle below is the destination. In the Prescribed Displacement boundary condition in the Moving Mesh Interface, I use src2dst_ap1(u) and src2dst_ap1(v) to map the beam deflection onto the rectangle.

To make the model, I used "Form Assembly" instead of "Form Union" at the bottom of the Geometry node. I checked the box "Create imprints" so that Comsol split the edge of the overlapped edges. This is necessary otherwise the Prescribed Displacement boundary condition will try to evaluate the src2dst_ap1(u) on the unconnected portion of the boundary and Comsol will throw an error during the solve. The example is attached for further inspection.

I think this technique may be useful for Fluid Structure Interaction so that the structural mesh doesn't need to match the fluid mesh. Any further comment or experience on this is welcomed.

Undeformed configuration and mismatched meshes.

Deformed Configuration. The deformation is exaggerated.

-------------------
Jason Nicholson
I should have read the help more completely. It is clear what to do with the identity boundary pair. Use *src2dst_pn* where *pn* corresponds to the name of the Identity Boundary Pair name. For instance, I want to map the x displacement and y displacement from a beam onto another object to deform it with the Moving Mesh interface. I use an Identity Boundary Pair with name *ap1*. The beam is the source and the rectangle below is the destination. In the Prescribed Displacement boundary condition in the Moving Mesh Interface, I use *src2dst_ap1(u)* and *src2dst_ap1(v)* to map the beam deflection onto the rectangle. To make the model, I used "Form Assembly" instead of "Form Union" at the bottom of the Geometry node. I checked the box "Create imprints" so that Comsol split the edge of the overlapped edges. This is necessary otherwise the Prescribed Displacement boundary condition will try to evaluate the *src2dst_ap1(u)* on the unconnected portion of the boundary and Comsol will throw an error during the solve. The example is attached for further inspection. I think this technique may be useful for Fluid Structure Interaction so that the structural mesh doesn't need to match the fluid mesh. Any further comment or experience on this is welcomed. ![Undeformed configuration and mismatched meshes.](https://preview.ibb.co/fiEo2H/Clipboard02.jpg) ![Deformed Configuration. The deformation is exaggerated.](https://preview.ibb.co/fpESwc/Clipboard01.jpg)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.