Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Geometrical boundary (line in a 2-D model) turned into a single point

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

In the attached 2-D solid mechanics model, the thickness (y coordinate) of the structure changes from 10e-2 m down to 10e-6 m from x=0 to x=0.33 m. In the very tip at the right end of the structure (excessive zoom in required), there is a very small rectangle connected to the tapering part. As long as I am in the Geometry section of the model, it all looks fine. However, when I click either on the Materials or the Solid Mechanics section, the boundary is transformed from a line into a single point where the two domains meet. This renders any further study impossible. Additionally, there is another rectangle on the left side of the tapering structure, from x=-0.5 m to x=0. If I reduce the length of this rectangle from 0.5 m even to 0.4999 m, the geometry is not changed, whereas, for lengths from 0.5 m and above, as in the attached model, the mentioned distortion occurs.

How could I retain the constructed geometry throughout the model, that is, in the Materials, Solid Mechanics, Mesh etc. sections? In my actual model, I will need to attach even longer rectangular parts in the left side of the structure.

Thanks in advance, Angelis

0 Replies Last Post Jun 27, 2018, 10:29 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Angelis Karlos

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.