Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Joule heating bundary problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL users,

I am working on a heat transfer problem in a nanostructure that I am investigating currently. It concerns heat transfer from an applied voltage, please see the attached model. When trying to solve however I get the error that there are missing equations, and I suppose this is related to the problem that I am missing some boundary condition, but I con not understand what it is. If anyone can help me point at the error I would very much appreciate it!

Please not that there are several boundary conditions that I have disabled in search for a problem, but with out success.

Best,
Robert Rehammar

2 Replies Last Post Jun 15, 2011, 5:35 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 15, 2011, 5:14 a.m. EDT
Hi Robert,

It appears that there is no current source in your model.
Try to set up the electric boundary conditions and run your simulation again.

Mathieu
Hi Robert, It appears that there is no current source in your model. Try to set up the electric boundary conditions and run your simulation again. Mathieu

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 15, 2011, 5:35 a.m. EDT
Hi Mathieu,

Thank you for your suggestion. I added a current source and added all domain with a Q = 0, but this did not make any difference. I do not believe this is the problem, since the missing equations are on a boundary. Further I do not want a current source, I want to apply a voltage later or that will provide the current. Applying a voltage now does not make any difference.

Best,
Robert
Hi Mathieu, Thank you for your suggestion. I added a current source and added all domain with a Q = 0, but this did not make any difference. I do not believe this is the problem, since the missing equations are on a boundary. Further I do not want a current source, I want to apply a voltage later or that will provide the current. Applying a voltage now does not make any difference. Best, Robert

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.