Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D geometry vs 3D geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi people

I created a workplane out of a 3D geometry and then created a 2D object i.e. a circle, I understand that the 2D geometry ought to be embedded into the 3D one, but when I clicked on one of the physics (in the sense that I was about to assign sorta boundary conditions to the 2D geometry), I cannot see the embedded 2D geometry, not even as a boundary or domain or edge etc. Any clues that I can assign a boundary condition to the 2D geometry?

Many thanks!!

liwah

3 Replies Last Post Aug 15, 2011, 8:53 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 22, 2011, 7:26 a.m. EDT
Hi Liwah,

I had a similar problem. The 2D object doesn't seem to be considered as a proper boundary or a line in the 3D environment.

In my case, I wanted to create a circle on a cylinder, so I did a plane and then I took the difference between the cylinder and the plane.

Please tell me if you found something else!

Guillermo
Hi Liwah, I had a similar problem. The 2D object doesn't seem to be considered as a proper boundary or a line in the 3D environment. In my case, I wanted to create a circle on a cylinder, so I did a plane and then I took the difference between the cylinder and the plane. Please tell me if you found something else! Guillermo

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 15, 2011, 7:43 a.m. EDT
what worked for me is,

1) create 2d object in work plane (centered at default 0,0,0 location)

2) do Geometry -> Transformed -> Copy,
a) deselect [ ] Keep input objects
b) translate Copy to correct location

3) assign properties to the Copy, and continue..

The work plane will remain in the build list, but disappear as a boundary.
How I *do* wish the "Embed" menu item from 3.5 would be reinstated..

Dave

Disclaimer: I am not an expert; there may be a better way :)

what worked for me is, 1) create 2d object in work plane (centered at default 0,0,0 location) 2) do Geometry -> Transformed -> Copy, a) deselect [ ] Keep input objects b) translate Copy to correct location 3) assign properties to the Copy, and continue.. The work plane will remain in the build list, but disappear as a boundary. How I *do* wish the "Embed" menu item from 3.5 would be reinstated.. Dave Disclaimer: I am not an expert; there may be a better way :)

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 15, 2011, 8:53 a.m. EDT
Hi,

The "embedding" is implicit i V4, so if you, for example, create a circle in a work plane that coincides with the side of a block, the analyzed geometry includes the circle area as a separate boundary in the 3D model. You should not need to take any additional steps before proceeding to define your boundary conditions and so on.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, The "embedding" is implicit i V4, so if you, for example, create a circle in a work plane that coincides with the side of a block, the analyzed geometry includes the circle area as a separate boundary in the 3D model. You should not need to take any additional steps before proceeding to define your boundary conditions and so on. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.