Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to define damping in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working on piezoelectric (aluminium nitride) vibrating contour mode resonators and filters.i am using COMSOL multyphysics 4.0a.
i have a rectangular plate geometry and i want to find contour mode that i got already.i got desired eigenmode(contour) at some eigenfrequency.
this is the thing i wanna design (www.seas.upenn.edu/~piazza/Papers/Piazza_JMEMS_jan07.pdf
but i want to find Quality factor according to each eigenfrequency of desired mode.
i search in help there was a formula for Q. they r calculating Q by eigenvalue(lemda) as imaginary part divided by twice real part of lemda.thats ok
but i am getting purely imaginary lemda according to desired mode in comsol.means infinite Q
but it should be some definite value...

i am getting some complex lemdas also.which r not according to desired eigenmode.by formula Q will comes order of e-7 or lesser.

MEANS I DONT KNOW HOW TO FIND Q OF A GIVEN GEOMETRY ??
I KNOW BY DEFAULT COMSOL TAKE ZERO DAMPING.

PLS SIR TELL ME WHERE AND HOW SHOULD I PROVIDE DAMPING IN COMSOL????

1 Reply Last Post Jun 17, 2013, 6:27 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Gaurav

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 17, 2013, 6:27 p.m. EDT
Did you solve your problem? I'd be interested to know how you did it.
Did you solve your problem? I'd be interested to know how you did it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.