Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multiple species - better separate or lumped together?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have got a mixture of 2-3 species and will be modelling its behaviour in COMSOL. Either way I will have to use external functions for calculating its properties during simulation as none of them is build into COMSOL. Question I would like to pose is what is the best way to tackle this issue?

One way is to add species separately, (calculating their properties externally) and then in the model add Transport of Diluted Species physics to account for diffusion and convection occurring in the mixture. But how do you assign multiple materials to the same domain - one occupied by the mixture of them?

Another way would be to assume there is only one material in COMSOL (mixture of two species) characterized by species concentration. But in this case calculating its properties would be very slow as besides temperature and say pressure I would also have to pass the concentrations to the external function.

Does anyone have any ideas or comments?

Regards,
Mike

0 Replies Last Post Jul 14, 2011, 3:20 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mike Brown

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.