Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using the Interpolation Function to Pass Boundary Conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am a new COMSOL user, and I was hoping to understand how to properly use the interpolation function to transfer boundary conditions between models. I am working on a microfluidic model which is too large to mesh and solve in a single step, and so I need to break the model into segments, solve them individually, and pass the solution values from the outlet of model 1 to the inlet of model 2. (etc.)

After creating a global interpolation function, I set the inlet velocity values of a second model (with the exact same geometric dimensions) to the outlet values exported from the first model. The model runs and solves, but the solution is unexpected for several reasons:

1) The average velocity over the outlet surface of model 1 is more than 1000x greater than the average velocity over the inlet surface of model 2.

2) The highest velocity magnitude for model 2 was in the lower left corner of the conduit, not centered as in model 1.

A very simple model and the data file used for interpolation are both attached (the excel file was saved as a tab-separated text file). The data file was creating by exporting the velocity data from the outlet surface of model 1.

Any advice would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank You!

1 Reply Last Post Jul 20, 2011, 1:37 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 20, 2011, 1:37 p.m. EDT
In the model Geometry settings, the Length Unit needs to be set to meters (not mm, not feet, not angstroms, just m) for the Interpolation Function to work correctly.

The units can still be defined as desired when creating geometry by adding the units in brackets: for example, to create a 1.5 mm width block, set "Width: 1.5 [mm]"

Many thanks to COMSOL Support!
In the model Geometry settings, the Length Unit needs to be set to meters (not mm, not feet, not angstroms, just m) for the Interpolation Function to work correctly. The units can still be defined as desired when creating geometry by adding the units in brackets: for example, to create a 1.5 mm width block, set "Width: 1.5 [mm]" Many thanks to COMSOL Support!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.