Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

simulate optical energy incident on a thin film

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello one and all,

I have built a model to simulate optical energy incident on a thin film with the goal of simulating the heat transfer and temperature gradients on the surface and across the film. The film is contained within a glass vessel filled with air at low pressure. The film is suspended by trusses.

The heat transfer portion of the simulation works appropriately, however the Port established for the incident EM energy does not. When I run the simulation only a small area of the film is illuminated and temperature gradients are confined to that area. This does not change when I change the size of the boundary selected for the port.

My question is regarding the port. How can I expand the area of illumination through managing the port. I have tried varying the size of the port and this does nothing. I vary the input power and change the parameters of the E field. When I change the scale of the model for greater exposure, it still runs, but the temperature on the film does not change beyond the initial value. The parameters that I have used for the port are as follows:

Pin = 500W,
Ex = 0, Ey = 0, Ez = 1000*sin(1/700e-9)*z (the wave is to propagate in the Z direction)
Propagation constant = 0 1/m

Any help on managing the port and resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pat

0 Replies Last Post Jul 28, 2011, 10:16 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Patrick Kirby

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.